water? water ? oh what water????

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
ok you guys getting sick of my questions yet? what water do you guys use for your tortoises. I am going broke on spring water. I use it for his bathing, water dish, everything. I even used it to soak the coco. I have never seen him drink out of his water dish. went from the scary flip hazard to a 12 inch terra cotta. there is never substrate or anything in there. I watch him at least 2 hours a day. looks at it but goes away. He went to the vet today and they said he is wonderfully healthy. they advised to soak every other day for 20 to 30 minutes. they also recommended to give him 50 % or the food he was on at the pet store and mix fresh in with it. He likes it very soupy. he drinks water when he bathes. oh and by the way you guys are great. :) thanks a bunch

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have well water, I consider it very nice. Unless you have a known water problem, or can smell the chlorine right out of the tap. Than I think tap water is fine. One way to check is to, Fill a quart bottle 3/4 full and seal it, let it sit for a day, open the lid and smell it, if it smells like a pool it has a fair amount of chlorine in it.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I have well water, I consider it very nice. Unless you have a known water problem, or can smell the chlorine right out of the tap. Than I think tap water is fine. One way to check is to, Fill a quart bottle 3/4 full and seal it, let it sit for a day, open the lid and smell it, if it smells like a pool it has a fair amount of chlorine in it.
mine always has a bunch of chlorine. :(

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Are you using drinking bottled water? You can get it in gallons at the grocery store usually less than a dollar a gallon. Or run it through a filter that removes the chlorine or at least some of it.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Are you using drinking bottled water? You can get it in gallons at the grocery store usually less than a dollar a gallon. Or run it through a filter that removes the chlorine or at least some of it.
i have a filter on my fridge if im going to drink plain water. most stuff i use tab water.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Just let tap water sit out overnight in an open container (milk jug, bucket, etc.). The chlorine will disperse and the dollars from your wallet won't!
thank you i have about 5 empty water jugs already :) will fill some of them now

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you drink it and it makes good tasting tea or coffee, there's no reason not to use tap water straight out of the faucet.

It's different for fish, they need the chlorine neutralized - letting the water sit out 24 hours works for that, and equalizes the temperature. But for healthy tortoises & turtles it's not necessary.

Blkjkoknhrt

I use a household filter for most of my and all of Munster's water for drinking and hydrating his tub. But that's just me, Winnipeg has always had good drinking water right out of the tap but I have... concerns
I also use a drop of chlorine remover/aquarium conditioner for his water., 1 drop per liter.IMG_0775.JPG

leopard777

5 Year Member
how about the gut bacteria inside the tortoise , wont tap water with chlorine kill it ?