Water bowl.

mellie101

10 Year Member!
Hello. I hope your all well. I have a bit of a dilemma with my girl. She is an Iberian Greek. She is 11 inches long and 8 inches wide. We have a big enclosure for her but I always feel so sad for her in the winter. Anyway, we put a very big water bowl in the enclosure for her and she baths frequently in the bowl. Problem is she drags half a ton of substrate into the bowl with her. If we're out it means she has no drinking water. If I put something smaller in for her drinking water she climbs all over it. I've been wracking my brain what to put in, even a chicken water drinker so she can't climb on top of it. I was just wondering what other people do. Am I raising a problem tortoise lol. Thanks in advance. Mel.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It’s a part of tortoise husbandry. 🤷‍♂️ Clean it out & refresh in the morning, then do it again in the evening. You can make sure the substrate is moist & firmly packed down around the dish. In the end, it’s what tortoises do. Just because there is some substrate in the dish doesn't mean it’s not drinkable.

Ps - where is the dish located within the enclosure? Sometimes, moving more centrally is better.

Ps2 - what kind of substrate?

PS3 - maybe a larger enclosure will help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello. I hope your all well. I have a bit of a dilemma with my girl. She is an Iberian Greek. She is 11 inches long and 8 inches wide. We have a big enclosure for her but I always feel so sad for her in the winter. Anyway, we put a very big water bowl in the enclosure for her and she baths frequently in the bowl. Problem is she drags half a ton of substrate into the bowl with her. If we're out it means she has no drinking water. If I put something smaller in for her drinking water she climbs all over it. I've been wracking my brain what to put in, even a chicken water drinker so she can't climb on top of it. I was just wondering what other people do. Am I raising a problem tortoise lol. Thanks in advance. Mel.
I agree with what Mark said.

Where are you? Please go into your user CP and add a location for us. Perhaps outdoor housing could work if done correctly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could just put a large rock in the middle of the smaller dish so her head fits to drink but wouldn't be quite so easy to climb over

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If your setup is large enough, as it should be for your tortoise, you can get some large flat stones and set the pool down into a hole in the middle, so she walks over the stones or tiles before she can reach the pool. This will help keep a lot of the substrate from ending up in the water. Please post some pictures of the tortoise and the enclosure? Thanks.