Water bowl problem...or is it ? :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Unkown where to post this feel free to move it somewhere more suitable...
Well i have an organic compost and sphagnum moss as substrate as you can imagine when my redfoot tortoise bathes in his waterbowl it gets mucky...really mucky...i put sphagnum moss around the bowls to see if this helped....NO...
i clean it every chance i get but when i go out for 3-4 hrs will it be okay and if he drunk it ...would it be a problem please and thankyous' all around!! :D :p
He uses it as a mud bath haha!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They sometimes like the water dirty, so if they drink it after dirtying it up, it won't be the end of the world.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Thank-you just watched the video of your sulcata of spur-thigh ..sorry unsure! going down his ramp outdoors very cute and sweet!

'or spur thigh', i meen

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Its a Sulcata and he loves his water very muddy for some reason, so I just clean it when every I can...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Surrounding the dish with pebbles or tiles helps keep it clean, but an even better method is to position it well away from an edge or traffic path. Most torts soil their dish while 'patrolling' the habitat. Moving it keeps them out of it unless they want to take a drink or dip.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Dirty water happens all day long at my house! :D They walk in and out and in and out. Sometimes they take a nap in it. Sometimes they are half in and half out. They are just being torties! It's all good! :D

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I know how you feel, I have tried everything possible to keep the water clean, even a filter, but they are like kids, the dirtier the better, so I just leave them to it.

If they poop in it I will change the water if not it's changed daily..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
some people terryo comes to mind I believe use frog moss around the water bowl to catch a lot of the dirt and stuff to keep the water cleaner, but with a tortoise it won't ever stay crystal clear

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
frog moss is a little different it has a different texture than sphagnum.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Actually the frog moss works a little better than sphagnum. It is more like a mat that doesn't get dragged into the water.Sphagnum can get pulled into the water dish and act like a wick,drawing all the water out.In my vivarium,I use stones around the bowl,then frog moss outside the perimeter of the stones.It has been working well for me.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Dude I use bed-a-beast/eco earth tell me about it! ..and sphagnum moss!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Frog moss around the water bowl will help keep it clean.......except for "poop".
This is frog moss...it stays green all the time, and looks and feels nice too.
011-40.jpg

018-26.jpg

010-39.jpg

Poop in the water dish that hasn't been cleaned yet....but the frog moss still looks good. LOL :D
018-25.jpg

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Sold. I am getting rid of all the sphagnum moss and changing to frog moss asap! Thank's:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
When you buy your frog moss (and there are other options as well), you often have two options- dead but pretty, and dried but alive after a good soak.

Here is a link to my favorite source- http://www.bigappleherp.com/Nature-Zone-Moss?sc=2&category=23145

I find the stuff works well in my habitats as well, but I can only seem to keep it alive for several months at a time.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I buy mine in a craft store....Michael's. I don't think it's really frog moss. They have all different kinds for making flower arrangements. It's very soft, and stays green. I rinse it out good, and then just squeeze it a little to get some of the water out of it. I also bought frog moss from Amazon.com, and it was exactly like this moss, so that's why I called it frog moss. It even stays green under the heat emitter. I have to get up a picture of the bag that is comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.