Wanted a male Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elsberry MO
I'm looking for either an adult, juvi or even baby Russian.
I live in Missouri (Elsberry) and I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes. Must be Captive Bred.

I should add this would be my first Tortoise so I'm doing as much research as possible before getting him. I've already got his indoor enclosure ready, but like I said before, he's worth waiting for.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
check with your local shelters and rescues.. russians are pretty popular...as strays too...
thats where i got mine.

onetortie

5 Year Member
[Hi Teresa,
My name is Lisa and we live in the Kansas City area. We've had a male Russian Tortie for about 4 and 1/2 years. He was purchased from a pet store that was closing. The information that we were given at the time was that he was captive bred and was about 7 years old then. I believe he belonged to the owner. It was a small, (not a chain) store that specialized in reptiles and aquatic animals.

Torite, our little guy, has never been quite as active as I had been told a Russian would be. We bought him a nice enclosure and have kept him in a family room. He is very sweet and will eat from my hand, but he is shy at first. He doesn't like change very much. He enjoys going outside in the warmer months for periods of time, and he does like to burrow.

He has always been a picky eater, and he seems to like the pellets more than anything else. I've been considering rehoming him because I'm not sure he's happy here. We have a very active/busy home with 3 kids, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and him. I am a sincere lover of animals and I take my responsibilities seriously. I am only interested being certain that he has the best home possible.

If you haven't already adopted a Russian, and you would like to talk about Tortie, I'd be open to talking with. Thanks.
Lisa

Attachments

• tortie.jpg
    tortie.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 30

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lisa:

Teresa hasn't come back to the forum in a little while, so I've forwarded your post to her through email.

Welcome to the forum!! If you don't re-home your little guy, you're quite welcome to stay here and visit with us.

onetortie

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne,
I just saw this! thanks. We still have Tortie. We've had him about 5 years, and he's very sweet. I am torn about the idea of rehoming him. But I wonder if he'd be happier in a different home. Here, he has to live indoors all of the time. He has a nice enclosure, but based upon all that I've read, it's not ideal. I find him fascinating, but I feel as he's a prisoner here. I've only begun exploring the option of rehoming him, and he'd have to go to a wonderful home. We don't really know his exact age. He belonged to to a man who owned a small reptile and fish store, but it was his own personal tortoise. He later went out of business, and I'm unable to contact him. The man told us that he was about 7 years when we adopted him.
Anyway, thanks for the friendly invitation.
Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.