Voles

Status
Not open for further replies.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
I have recently discovered that I have some voles living in/around my tortoise shed. From everything I have researched they appear to be fairly strict herbivores that may occasionally eat parasitic insects when they groom themselves. I have found nothing that suggests that they're opportunistic feeders when it comes to meat sources such as my tortoise. I understand that the voles may steal some tortoise food, and they appear to be nibbling on tortoise poop, but is it safe for me to allow them to live? I would exterminate mice, rats, or shrews in a heartbeat, but if voles are harmless I'd prefer not to kill them.

Any thoughts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm of the school live and let live. (You should see all the wasp nest around my property) I don't think a vole would cause a tortoise any problems. I'm sure they probably live together in the wild.

moswen

5 Year Member
i agree with yvonne. no harm in letting them live

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
what about them attracting animals that eat voles?

and possibly tortoises

M

Maggie Cummings

The next thing you know you'll have voles in your house. I didn't know I did until my indoor house cat brought me 2 voles. She never goes outside, so where in the heck did she get voles??? In my bedroom??? I say kill'em!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.