Vivariums for Hermann adult and baby life

THEADEMARCO

Location (City and/or State)
London
I've got a 6ft x 3ft enclosure, which I was planning to use as the indoor enclosure. However I've been worrying about it keeping in heat (it is open topped and I live in the UK). After quite a bit of thought, I've realised it would be perfect as an outdoor enclosure for the tortoise during the summer months or just on really nice warm days. And I'm thinking about purchasing a vivarium as the indoor enclosure instead (once again just because I think that would solve my anxiety about the heat escaping).
I am planning on getting a Hermann's tortoise. So two things:
1) would it be appropriate to have the Hermann tortoise's indoor enclosure be a vivarium for its adult life AS WELL as its baby life?
2) I've heard a lot of people say (though on YouTube so I don't trust them too much) that a vivarium will confuse a tortoise and make it very unhappy! Is this true?

Also, the vivarium is 6ft x 2ft. I could probably find a bigger one, but this is the size I am looking at right now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is too small for an adult, both sizes you listed too small.
For a hatchling they are fine.

THEADEMARCO

London
Okay, I have found an 8ft 4 vivarium instead, which I think is a good size for a Hermann? The Hermann I'm getting would be 2yrs old but I would want the viv to last into when the tortoise is an adult as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've got a 6ft x 3ft enclosure, which I was planning to use as the indoor enclosure. However I've been worrying about it keeping in heat (it is open topped and I live in the UK). After quite a bit of thought, I've realised it would be perfect as an outdoor enclosure for the tortoise during the summer months or just on really nice warm days. And I'm thinking about purchasing a vivarium as the indoor enclosure instead (once again just because I think that would solve my anxiety about the heat escaping).
I am planning on getting a Hermann's tortoise. So two things:
1) would it be appropriate to have the Hermann tortoise's indoor enclosure be a vivarium for its adult life AS WELL as its baby life?
2) I've heard a lot of people say (though on YouTube so I don't trust them too much) that a vivarium will confuse a tortoise and make it very unhappy! Is this true?

Also, the vivarium is 6ft x 2ft. I could probably find a bigger one, but this is the size I am looking at right now.
1. Indoors is fine if done correctly, but there should also be a large outdoor enclosure for fair weather.
2. Vivariums, aka: closed chambers, work best for any species any where and for the exact reasons that you are already thinking about. YT, FB, veterinarians, books, and most internet sites are all full of the old wrong info. It is NOT true that a vivarium will confuse or make them unhappy. That is utter nonsense, as me and several other member have raised 1000's of babies in glass tanks, vivariums, and closed chambers. I believe that myth started because people would get adult tortoises, usually wild caught, and stick them into little tiny pet store aquarium type set ups. The tortoise was definitely stressed and unhappy, but that is because of the size of the enclosure, not the material the enclosure was made of. You'd see the same stressed behavior in a wooden tortoise table of the same dimensions.

4x8 is the minimum for an adult and should work for how you intend to use it, but outdoors is best for adults when weather permits.

More here, and a temperate species care sheet near the bottom:

THEADEMARCO

London
Thanks Tom, I will make sure to get an 8ft 4ft minimum for the outdoor enclosure. The UK often has quite miserable weather even in summer so not really sure how much use I will be able to get but lets hope for the best!
As I say, I have a wooden 6ft 3 enclosure right now to use indoors. The tortoise I am getting will be just 2 years old, so I think this is enough space for it while it remains this young? After your assuring on the vivarium, I am planning on buying a 8ft 4ft viv once the tortoise gets a little bit older, so maybe in a year or two.
However we're nearing winter right now and I am still concerned about keeping in heat in the 6ft 3ft table. The only way to make it a workable closed top would be to put some glass over the top. This might sound a bit odd but what do you think of me purchasing a door like this and using it as the lid?

If I got one the size of the table (maybe a little bigger) could I not just put the door up onto the table and pull the doorhandle open it up? Hope you see the vision. Let me know if you think this would work. Sorry for long message.

THEADEMARCO

London
Just occurred to me that I couldn't 'pull the handle' as such because its not connected to a door frame (sorry for being an idiot)!!! Still, I think lifting it up could work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, I will make sure to get an 8ft 4ft minimum for the outdoor enclosure. The UK often has quite miserable weather even in summer so not really sure how much use I will be able to get but lets hope for the best!
As I say, I have a wooden 6ft 3 enclosure right now to use indoors. The tortoise I am getting will be just 2 years old, so I think this is enough space for it while it remains this young? After your assuring on the vivarium, I am planning on buying a 8ft 4ft viv once the tortoise gets a little bit older, so maybe in a year or two.
However we're nearing winter right now and I am still concerned about keeping in heat in the 6ft 3ft table. The only way to make it a workable closed top would be to put some glass over the top. This might sound a bit odd but what do you think of me purchasing a door like this and using it as the lid?

If I got one the size of the table (maybe a little bigger) could I not just put the door up onto the table and pull the doorhandle open it up? Hope you see the vision. Let me know if you think this would work. Sorry for long message.
They all grow at different rates, so I don't know how big your two year old is. 6x3 should be adequate for most two year olds, but if yours was/is a fast grower, then it might be a bit crowded already.

Open tables simply don't work. That is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof. Its just physics. Most tables are too short, so I don't know if the door idea will work or not. You need a minimum of around 24 inches inside to be able to hang all the heating and lighting inside. Open tables can work for adults that are more tolerant of dry conditions and lower temperatures. Babies fare much better in closed chambers.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

The 4x8 would be for indoor minimum. Hopefully for outside, you can do bigger.
A lot of people will buy a pop up portable green house to put over the enclosure or they make one with a few pieces of wood or PVC pipe to make a frame and then lay plastic over it.

THEADEMARCO

London
I agree with you and I think that for outdoors I will be able to get a much bigger enclosure! I am expecting to be building this myself, but if anyone does have a link to some amazing outdoor enclosure that would be appreciated.
About the door idea, the glass is good but its occurred to me it would be simpler to just lay down some glass sheets over the mesh lid I already have (which is very stable so it would definitely not fall). In the areas where I need lights to go I would either cut some circles for the dome holders I have, or just put the lamp onto mesh and cover the rest of the mesh in that area with some kind of blanket or tinfoil. It would give the tortoise at least a good place of privacy (even if it didn't know it lol).
As for the distance between the lights and the tortoise, it is a deep table which would allow for the lamps to be a good distance away from the tortoise.