Viv or table

Jlambkin

Location (City and/or State)
Kent
Hiya! Just looking for some advice, I have a 2 year old Hermann tortoise who lives in a viv and it’s huuuge! I am looking to downsize and was wondering if I would be able to transfer him to a table instead but don’t want to do anything to stress him too much? Thanks in advance ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Down sizing is never heard of when it comes to tortoises.
Your tort needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot as an adult and hopefully an indoor and outdoor enclosure if just an outdoor enclosure isnt possible year round.

Jlambkin

Kent
I’m not sure on exact measurements but it’s pretty tall so was hoping to downsize on height if that makes sense

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
If you can post some pictures of your enclosure and measurements for what space you do have, I’m sure you’ll get some helpful advice and suggestions. Are you wanting to modify your existing enclosure or start from scratch with a new one?

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Yes please may we have some pics?
My 2 year old Hermann’s is in an enclosure that’s Is almost 5 ft across.

Jlambkin

Kent
I’m pretty sure it’s almost 5ft, unable to get photo at the moment as my camera is broken ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I’m not sure on exact measurements but it’s pretty tall so was hoping to downsize on height if that makes sense
Down sizing on height is not a problem as long as you give enough height to have heat and lights at the correct distance. A closed chamber should be used until around the age of 3 for most species. Also depending on size for some larger growing and faster growing species.

Jlambkin

Kent
I’m pretty sure it’s almost 5ft, unable to get photo at the moment as my camera is broken ? I think I would be better starting from scratch again

Jlambkin

Kent
Down sizing on height is not a problem as long as you give enough height to have heat and lights at the correct distance. A closed chamber should be used until around the age of 3 for most species. Also depending on size for some larger growing and faster growing species.
Thank you, what would you recommend after the age of 3?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you can't photograph it can you find a google pic of something similar?