Vitamins

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
What is a good brand of dustable vitamins that I can include in Trouble's regular feeding? I just want to make sure he's got everything he needs to be a heathy, happy little monster.:<3::tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't add vitamins but only rarely. In my opinion, it's not a good idea to give them vitamins at every feeding. If you want to occasionally soak the baby in water that has water soluble bird vitamins added, but only occasionally. Is Trouble the turtle shown in your avatar? Full grown box turtles will get all the vitamins they need from their food.

Colorado
Trouble is a Russian Tortoise. And he's the one in the picture. So are there any vitamins I could soak him in occasionally or give him dusted on his lettuce once in a while?

Colorado
I'm just not sure he's getting all he needs from the greens I'm able to get him as it is winter and so variety is hard to come by.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My answer is the same. Full grown turtles and tortoises get all their nutrients from their food. This is why it's important to feed a good diet. It's too easy to overdose on vitamins, and babies need them more than full grown tortoises. the most important supplement in your tortoise's life right now is calcium and UVB (either from a GOOD light or the sun). Calcium - only a small pinch of powder a couple times a week over the food.

Calcium-rich greens: collards, kale, turnip greens, arugula, water cress, mustard greens, rapini, pak choy, okra, opuntia cactus, endive, butternut squash, broccoli, brussels sprouts, sweet potato. to name just a few.