Vet visit for Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okietorter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I finally found a vet clinic that would work with me on payment for an office visit and meds. My J. Greek has an upper respiratory ailment and Dr. Rachel Reeves gave him a B Complex and a Ceftazidime injection. I am to inject the antibiotic every three days for six times. She said the lungs sounded clear but if the little guy doesn't show some signs of improvement in a week to come back. His eyes were closed and he was clogged with mucus. She could hear raspy breathing (I couldn't). So my bargain Greek now is worth many more $$$$ but I have no regrets. I have learned a lot and hope he pulls out of this.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Funny you say "bargain". I have slowly learned that the cheepest pet to own are those from breaders, even including shipping costs. It seems to me vet bills add up quickly, yet a heathly reptile from knowlegdeable breeders are worth the costs.

I have also spent lots on vets only to loose the reptile anyway.

Keep us informed!

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery! Hopefully he will pop back to good health in no time.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hopefully he'll respond well and kick the infection. :)

Are you keeping him warm? When your giving antibiotics, tortoies should be around 86F day and night. This boosts their immune system and helps the antibiotics work better.

Danny

Okietorter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The day does not bode well for the little guy. He was moving around this morning and my hopes were up, but 3 hrs later he is limp as a rag. Eyes not opening, no resistance with his legs, can't tell if he is breathing. Put him in a warm water soak and no bubbles from his nose. Hope St. Francis is listening as I ask for some healing to begin. One thing the Vet advised was soaking in Gatorade to restore electrolytes for a sick turtle.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I wouldn't soak in gatorade, but baby food such as carrots or squash is good to soak in, or liquid Vitasol bird vitamins (a few drops to make the water yellow). Gerber baby food with no additives (they even make organic) is good. The bird vitamins are sold in pet stores in a tiny bottle. I hope things turn around soon for you. If he doesn't seem to pick up soon, you can take him back to the vet or at least let them know. Sometimes by the time a tort shows symptoms of something it can be too late. We have had too many sad stories here unfortunately. They have usually been sick for a while before they will show it. Any chance you can get the breeder or whomever to pay for vet bills? With their experience they should have noticed this and not sold him. Even some pet stores will do that if the tort is sick right after you buy them.

Best wishes.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi Alice, how is he now? Did you raise his temp? Please keep us posted...

Okietorter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Rest in peace, little Greek. He is gone. The lessons he has taught me have been invaluable. The mistakes were mine. Thanks to all of you who care about creatures.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Wow that is so sad to hear....so quick too. Best wishes. At least he didn't have to suffer too long. I hope you have the courage to talk to where you got him to inform them he was sick so soon after getting him and hopefully they can help you out.

Okietorter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
He was the hasty decision from attending a reptile show/sale. I looked at him for about 2 1/2 days and then the last day the guy gave me a very good price. Several other tortoise keepers had been looking at him too. I do not expect the vendor to reimburse me, it's "Buyer Beware" at an event like that. I had the chance to buy a female Greek from a friend and I'm so glad I didn't bring her into the house. My redfoots are totally separate but I'm watching them closely to make sure I didn't bring any illness into their lives by association. Now I have a new vet and new knowledge about tortoise illness. And I learned how to give injections.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
With the Greek and Redfoots being housed separately I highly doubt you will have a problem. Even with two torts in the same enclosure, not always will the other one get the RI. Glad you can see at least one positive thing out of this experience. If you at all have the breeder's contact information I would give it a try.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm sorry you had to go thru that Alice...it's always hard even if you hadn't had him long. Do you still have Chief Wilma?

Status
Not open for further replies.