Vet care

wendyssommer

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville Kentucky
Vet care for torties is not easy to find. My 8 year old male redfoot developed a prolapsed phallus (may have been either a sexual or fight encounter with my other redfoot) and it got very serious. After many calls to vets I found one Crestwood Animal Hospital in Crestwood, KY who recognized the severity and did emergency surgery. He is doing great now & have to give him antibiotic injections for a few weeks. Important message is seek out a vet and get signed up as a patient so you have a plan for care.

Attachments

• 9ACEEF65-F159-47E5-A21B-C135B085F08D.jpeg
    9ACEEF65-F159-47E5-A21B-C135B085F08D.jpeg
    546.3 KB · Views: 2

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Vet care for torties is not easy to find. My 8 year old male redfoot developed a prolapsed phallus (may have been either a sexual or fight encounter with my other redfoot) and it got very serious. After many calls to vets I found one Crestwood Animal Hospital in Crestwood, KY who recognized the severity and did emergency surgery. He is doing great now & have to give him antibiotic injections for a few weeks. Important message is seek out a vet and get signed up as a patient so you have a plan for care.
The first part is the hardest part. And that's finding a vet that actually has any real firsthand experience in treating tortoises.
Most won't admit that they don't.