veggie problem

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Do you know if all mushrooms are safe. I try to research anything we feed them but haven't tried mushrooms yet because I can't find if they are safe or not.
I buy the ones fromantic the grocery store for my redfoot. My boxies believe it or not won't eat them!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
If your established box turtles aren't used to greens it may be a very long time before they will eat them. To speed things up and acheive the desired results, try finely chopping greens and sprinkle them on the foods they will eat.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
If your established box turtles aren't used to greens it may be a very long time before they will eat them. To speed things up and acheive the desired results, try finely chopping greens and sprinkle them on the foods they will eat.
Thank you. I will try this.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

A cute tort, you've got. GOD bless.

Please be patient. I've had Oli (my beloved Greek tort) for 5.5 years, and he really is stubborn! Also, please keep in mind that torts do not like change, therefore it will take time for a tort to get used to a new environment.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
A very warm welcome to the forum.

A cute tort, you've got. GOD bless.

Please be patient. I've had Oli (my beloved Greek tort) for 5.5 years, and he really is stubborn! Also, please keep in mind that torts do not like change, therefore it will take time for a tort to get used to a new environment.
Thank you

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
They usually drop off in a few days.

Berkeley

Do you know if all mushrooms are safe. I try to research anything we feed them but haven't tried mushrooms yet because I can't find if they are safe or not.

Yes, any of the mushrooms are safe for box turtles- wild, grocery store, etc. They eat even the dangerously toxic ones with no effect- the toxins are stored in their skin and muscle as a passive defense.

Redfoots and other fungi-eating tortoises are not used to the toxins that can be found in wild mushrooms and should not be fed them. But they are perfectly safe for box turtles to eat.

--Berkeley

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
Yes, any of the mushrooms are safe for box turtles- wild, grocery store, etc. They eat even the dangerously toxic ones with no effect- the toxins are stored in their skin and muscle as a passive defense.

Redfoots and other fungi-eating tortoises are not used to the toxins that can be found in wild mushrooms and should not be fed them. But they are perfectly safe for box turtles to eat.

--Berkeley
Thank you