Vacation, what do you do with your torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xfollowthereaperx

5 Year Member
My Tortoise Brain Gorger is a little pain when I go somewhere. We'll be gone for a day and I figure that in the wild Torts can't eat every day because of the sometimes lack of food so I figured it was okay but I'd like to get a second opinion. I was wondering. I have two options:

1. Take him to another person's house and leave him there. Only problem is the car ride and moving him. I don't think my tortoise likes this and may cause stress.

2. Leave him at home without food for a day (is there food I can leave out for him.)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I love the name. Brain Gorger If I am correct his/she is about 5 months old now. If you are only going for a day I would make sure he has water and place food just before you leave. Then if he/she is awake I would feed when I get home.
Brain Gorger should be fine for one day.

dewbert

5 Year Member
One day should be fine. I just leave the food and water in their normal places.

For longer trips: I go on week-long trips pretty regularly. I've written up a "creature care" book for my wife (sometimes my mom) who take care of the beasts while I'm away. It includes each critter's name and a picture of it (so they know they're dealing with the right one). It includes their temp requirements, food and water requirements. I also prepare all of the food in advance. So, there's a little series of ziploc bags and plastic containers in the fridge. I label them things like "Monday--Petunia" "Tuesday--George and Lucille", etc. That way all my wife (or mom) has to do is go the fridge, get the right containers and follow the photo-enhanced instructions.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
I have a cat and two Sulcata’s now. I think one day would be fine but I have a neighbor lady living next door, retired. She has the keys to my place and takes care of the cat and now knows how to feed and soak the little Sulcata’s when I’m out of town. I leave tomorrow for a week and I’m not worried one bit knowing Nancy will be there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Vacation??? What's that?

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My tort has been fine on two occasions for two night each. I was worried sick though! I just fed extra the day we left and the day we got back, so only one day without food. If he ate dry Mazuri that would work great since he won't gorge himself--only eats what he wants and leaves extra daily.

We're planning a trip for a week and a half, but still over a year out. I'll probably have a friend watch him at her house, and get him a tub instead of his tort table (if he grows much more the travel tub I have for him will be too small!). I'll probably stay for an hour and get him set up and check the temps, and baggie up food. Leave some instructions with what to do daily like change the water and feed and clean up messes, and the vet's number. I think I do a lot more for him on a daily basis than actually required! He's a self-soaker so a little less work. She probably wouldn't even need to handle him if she didn't want to.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
When I go on vacation, my parents come over to take care of Hermy :). So I can leave knowing Hermy will be really well taken care of and will be happy when I come back.
I never left Hermy alone for 24H but If I had no choice, I would.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
We are leaving our 3-1/2 y.o. D.T. for a wk with our niece who volunteered to take care of her. I'll be supplying w/a couple of bags of spring mix and calcium supplement, and a portable cage that I bought for this occasion (plastic bottom and cage on top). I'll miss her dearly and will probably be calling to check in on her. Creature care book is a good idea, Dewbert!

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
I'm fortunate enough to have a wonderful reptile store that tortoise-sits for me. They take awesome care of other reptiles.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Well if I leave always make sure the last thing i do before going is change the water and put out fresh fruits and veggies. If I am going to be gone for more than two nights (since my girl can go a day without food), I get a friend to come over in feed her food... if they aren't available... I just can't take much of a vacation. lol

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
They go with if we are gone more than 24 hrs without my son Lee being home. He is very good with them. We never go anywhere but our 2nd house and they have a vacation table there. I have left them with extra food for us being 24 hour away from home.

Dawna

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
We're going away for three weeks soon, and my friends will be looking after Tallula. I have typed out a MASSIVE looong list of what to do, what to feed, do's & don'ts etc.....a small essay of bullet points haha. I know she'll be safe with them.

sadie tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
sometimes we have to leave sadie for 3-5 days. We live in a city and don't know anyone nor trust anyone yet so she has to be left alone. We usually spoil her for a few days and change out all her bedding, give her extra attention and some treats (a cherry or apple slice). then when we leave we change the water and turn off her light. We leave her heating pad on so he can stay warm but with the light off she won't require as much food and just sleeps most of the time. You can buy the dry food from the pet store and leave some of that too. Sadie won't eat that unless she is really hungry so if she needs it she'll eat it. Then when we get home the light comes on and she is definetly ready to eat but she has always been fine. She gets treats again when we come home and she gets to snuggle with us on the couch (she loves that)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi, I'll chime in also. First I thought it's best to try and mimic the wild, and someone here does not even feed their torts daily to begin with(Ed??? Maybe) It promotes many things and elimates some of the propensity for obesity.. Sounds funny for a tort, but we like to see them eat!!Unless they are babies I think.
We leave a couple times a year for a few days and I will do what Doctor Cosmonaut does and the last thing I do is feed and clean.. My lights are on timers and they seem to really not miss me,(Oh that hurts, but .....)
Na

M

Maggie Cummings

Richard...guess I missed that but you got 2 Sulcata? I thought you were going to wait until you got a larger yard, or something? Have you posted pictures?

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Well, I survived being away from my tort. Just returned from a 5 day vacation. Penelope was entrusted to a teenage niece and sister-in-law with a fat creature manual-highlighted for important read, a bag of spring mix, calcium mix, aloe plants, cactus and etc. The niece was so good she even texted me updates & pix of Penelope eating hibiscus titled "look mommy I'm having so much fun."
When I returned home, however, to my dismay I found a left over food they stuffed with the rest of things--a bag of spinach! Why? I'm quite sure I crossed out all the food I didn't want them to feed including kale and spinach. I'm going to let it go because apparently she is fine and I'm reading that a few days of feeding spinach is not detrimental. It didn't take her much to be oriented back home. She was busy running around in our backyard under the sun today.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It might be easier to give a list of safe food (and drop off a bag of washed and ready to eat greens) than a lot of reading material including unsafe foods. I agree that a little spinach is just fine.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
It might be easier to give a list of safe food (and drop off a bag of washed and ready to eat greens) than a lot of reading material including unsafe foods. I agree that a little spinach is just fine.

Yes, I should have kept it simple. I'll know better next time.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
...and the funny thing is, Penelope is eating everything now indiscrimately. She used to be a finicky eater (spoiled) eating only prime fresh part of spring mix, hibiscus, grape leaves, dandelion flowers...not even looking at the weeds growing near her pen. Well, now that I got her back she's gnawing at everything in her sight...fiscus fruits, mallows and all that's on the ground...I even caught her and yanked a bad stuff like wisteria leaf out of her mouth. This never happened 9 months of my having her. Real interesting...

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Madortoise said:
...and the funny thing is, Penelope is eating everything now indiscrimately. She used to be a finicky eater (spoiled) eating only prime fresh part of spring mix, hibiscus, grape leaves, dandelion flowers...not even looking at the weeds growing near her pen. Well, now that I got her back she's gnawing at everything in her sight...fiscus fruits, mallows and all that's on the ground...I even caught her and yanked a bad stuff like wisteria leaf out of her mouth. This never happened 9 months of my having her. Real interesting...

I wonder if it was because she mostly had spinach, and didn't like it much or got tired of it fast. So now these things that she didn't necessarily like before are seeming like very tasty things compared to it!

Godsend in disguise :p

Status
Not open for further replies.