UVB TROUBLE

Location (City and/or State)
SPRING HILL
A lot of people have gave me ideas of which uvb to get by describing them , but I am having a hard time finding the exact uvb for my baby sulcata . Reptisun is too expensive right now and when I am in the hardware stores I am lost, there are so many different types . I am not exactly grasping which would be a fit for a 50L tank . Please post pictures or links of exactly which bulb to buy and hood . Thank you . I recently got for free a 50 L tank , in which I will be transferring him from a 20L tank . Also I know some say just take him outside which I do , but he's a baby and I want to have it inside as well . Just to make sure he is getting exactly what he needs .

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A lot of people have gave me ideas of which uvb to get by describing them , but I am having a hard time finding the exact uvb for my baby sulcata . Reptisun is too expensive right now and when I am in the hardware stores I am lost, there are so many different types . I am not exactly grasping which would be a fit for a 50L tank . Please post pictures or links of exactly which bulb to buy and hood . Thank you . I recently got for free a 50 L tank , in which I will be transferring him from a 20L tank . Also I know some say just take him outside which I do , but he's a baby and I want to have it inside as well . Just to make sure he is getting exactly what he needs .
Your not going to find a UVB bulb in a hardware store. You need a specialized reptile UVB bulb. You'll have to get that at a Pet store or online retailer.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
You need the a T5 10.0 linear fluorescent tube UVB bulb. As Toddrick said, this can't be found at a hardware store. Something like this would work for a small enclosure:

You also need a fixture like this for it:

Be aware that tortoises are expensive pets, and sulcatas in particular will cost a lot more over the long term since you need to build large enclosures, night boxes etc to keep them at 80F at all times, year round. They also grow very large very fast when cared for properly. While the initial cost of the animal might be higher (since sulcatas are very cheap), a Russian or Hermann's would cost less in the long term. Otherwise, you should think about whether tortoise keeping is the right move for you at this time in your life.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Any online retailer you have in mind ?

We do not usually think about total volume of an enclosure when choosing a light size. What are the dimensions (width and length) of the enclosure? A good rule of thumb is half the length of the enclosure. For example, if you had a 4 x 2 foot enclosure, a 24" light would be good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California