UVB reader

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
Sheldon is doing AWESOME so I think it's time I make the final investment purchase and get UVB reader. ....they are EXPENSIVE! I found one that isn't as much as the $200 one that was reccomended but is the quality good? any advice on the one is the picScreenshot_20200112-180307_Samsung Internet.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would be scared with just 1 review, but that is me. With 2 torts I went with the Solarmeter 6.5 and like Tom says “if it keeps you from resolving bulbs too soon it pays for its self.” Not to mention it allows to get the light at the perfect height for the correct level at tort height. Maybe a wishlist kinda thing or sell some stuff they you are not using

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Don't trust any of the meters or readers except the Solarmeter 6.5. All the other meters that are at least decent read total UV - which is mostly UVA and the better ones try to create an algorithm to extrapolate the UVB from that. Not accurte. And the UVB deteriorates more quickly than the UVA portion as a bulb ages, so very quickly your are getting less and less accurate readings. Additionally, each bulb and type of bulb produces varying percentages of UVA vs UVB, so you would need a separate meter for each type of bulb designed for that bulb's spectral profile.

The sensor and its filter cost the manufacturer over $100 alone to get the right readings for the specific wavelenghts of UVB that are the bioactive wavelengths are we need to monitor. So there is no short-cut.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I would be scared with just 1 review, but that is me. With 2 torts I went with the Solarmeter 6.5 and like Tom says “if it keeps you from resolving bulbs too soon it pays for its self.” Not to mention it allows to get the light at the perfect height for the correct level at tort height. Maybe a wishlist kinda thing or sell some stuff they you are not using
ok, I will sell what extra supplies I have and get the Solarmeter, my bulbs are only 3months at the moment

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Don't trust any of the meters or readers except the Solarmeter 6.5. All the other meters that are at least decent read total UV - which is mostly UVA and the better ones try to create an algorithm to extrapolate the UVB from that. Not accurte. And the UVB deteriorates more quickly than the UVA portion as a bulb ages, so very quickly your are getting less and less accurate readings. Additionally, each bulb and type of bulb produces varying percentages of UVA vs UVB, so you would need a separate meter for each type of bulb designed for that bulb's spectral profile.

The sensor and its filter cost the manufacturer over $100 alone to get the right readings for the specific wavelenghts of UVB that are the bioactive wavelengths are we need to monitor. So there is no short-cut.
that's why I love this forum, I would have never found that kind of info. I will get the Solarmeter. thank you!

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL

is it one of these
Screenshot_20200112-202159_Samsung Internet.jpg

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
is it one of these
Screenshot_20200112-202159_Samsung Internet.jpg