Status
Not open for further replies.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Samson 3-4 months old, stays inside since he is so little and winter is coming. His temporary outdoor enclosure is an underbed storage box. I have cut out large sections from the lid and covered those sections with wire fencing to keep him in and other critters out! Since the time change there is not much warm sunlight left when I get home from work. No matter where I put his box outside he is mostly shadowed by the box walls. I take him outside 3-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes whenever the weather permits. I let him stay out longer on weekends. Will he benefit from the uvb rays or does he need to be in direct sunlight?
Also, I have a zilla slimline desert 50 uvb T8 fluorescent fixture in his indoor enclosure and keep it on for 14 hours daily. Is he getting enough uvb or too much? With colder weather upon us I'm not sure how much outside time he will get. Could I use a heat lamp on colder days and still let him have outside time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I believe that the UV rays float around and you don't need to be in direct sunshine to get the benefits. However, some sunshine would be best. You might consider getting a Mercury Vapor Bulb to use during the winter.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Here comes my stupidty showing but what's the difference between a mercury vapor bulb and the uvb bulb that I already have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have a fluorescent bulb. The MVB is heat and UV in one bulb, so you only need one fixture. Also, the MVB provides a lot more UVB than the slimline bulb does. In my opinion, the fluorescent bulbs do better for forest-type turtles and tortoises, while the MVB is better suited to the desert-type tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, when your tort is outside, the only uv he is getting is through the holes you cut in the lid. The uv does not go through the plastic. Unless they are huge holes, you'd be better off, removing the whole inner area of the lid and basically only leave the outer rim and the covering it with wire.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
wellington said:
Also, when your tort is outside, the only uv he is getting is through the holes you cut in the lid. The uv does not go through the plastic. Unless they are huge holes, you'd be better off, removing the whole inner area of the lid and basically only leave the outer rim and the covering it with wire.

My bad for not explaining better! The only plastic left on the lid is the outer rim and the small strip across the middle where the two halves connect.

Thank you both so much for your help. I will continue to get Samson outside as much as possible and will now go buy a mvb bulb. Are they all the same or are there different wattages?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Please note that any uv bulb must be replaced every six months. The uv properties just wear out after six months; so, just remember to mark the date you first use it, then replace the bulb!

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
samsmom said:
Thank you both so much for your help. I will continue to get Samson outside as much as possible and will now go buy a mvb bulb. Are they all the same or are there different wattages?

The MVB bulbs I have found are available in 100w and 125w. They also state that they are good for one year of average use, or six months of continuous use.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
If you do use the slimline UVB bulbs, you may want to upgrade to the 10.0 (same length, just higher UVB output). I get them on eBay for about half the price I would have to pay in the pet store. :) I put in a fresh one at the end of each September, when the torts stop spending time outside. That way they get the good "fresh" dose of UVB from the bulb over the winter, and as the bulb weakens towards the summer, they spend so much time outside, it is ok. :)

samsmom said:
Here comes my stupidty showing but what's the difference between a mercury vapor bulb and the uvb bulb that I already have?

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
What a great idea. Would the 10 uvb be ok since Samson is so young, or would that be too much, can they even get too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.