UVB lights

haydog_99

Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
I have a 10 month old leapord tortoise and I have him in a Zoomed tortoise table. Originally, I put a 80watt Power sun heat/UVB light over his basking spot and it limited the light in the enclosure. I felt the only time he was getting good UVB light was when he was on the side of the table with the light. I decided to go out and get another tube UV light (T8 ReptiSun 10.0 UVB) and add it to give the entire enclosure good UVB light. I'm attaching a picture the fixture on the clamp is a heat emitter that I use at night to keep the enclosure from getting too clod. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Tortoise table.jpg

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Evidently continuous UVB isnt as crucial as most of us originally think. A half hour to hour a week of sunlight outside is apparently enough, from what I've read here. There are many others that can give more detailed advice, and I could be wrong, but I would think your original setup is a-ok for uvb, and having a shadier option for the tort to retreat to can be good too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The MVB bulb is overkill. I do not recommend those.
The T8 10.0 should be sufficient as low as it looks like it is positioned there.
(A T5 is better)
Use your T8 with something else for heat and ditch that MVB. It's too harsh. Too drying and isn't consistent at supplying UVB.
It's also true that a few hours a week of actual outdoors sunshine could replace the supplemental UVB altogether.