Uvb bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Is there any current research on the safety on the coil UVB bulbs?

When I search it's all old research or anecdotal stories.

I find it hard to believe that they'd continue to make a product that was harmful.

I work for a chain pet store and I am going to see if I can get ahold of one of the reps about them.

If anyone has any recent info please share it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There was a study done and a caution issued about the use of CFL's with basking reptiles (tortoises & lizards) a few years ago. I have read the study but do not have a saved copy. If anyone does or can find it please post it here on TFO. The rumors seem to be flying about the subject lately.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have not seen any recent studies. But why would we? Who would pay for that? The consumers haven't banded together to pitch in money for a study. The only people with money in this situation are the manufacturers and sellers and they don't want to pay money to obtain evidence that a product they are selling is dangerous to animals.

Consider the source. Yes the stories are anecdotal, but what does the person have to gain by warning you of their experience. Nothing. I have personally seen these bulbs damage the eyes of several species within the last couple of years. As recently as four months ago. I'm not trying to sell an alternative. I stand to gain nothing by making up untrue stories. We have seen many cases here on the forum, and I have seen many cases with my own eyes in person. To be fair not everyone who uses them has a problem, but there is no denying that SOME people do. Too many people for me to ever risk using one over my animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.