Uvb bulb which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
Just wanted to see which UVB bulb I should be using 2.0, 5.0 or 10? At the moment am using a 5.0 is this ok? I have a young marginated tortoise around a year old

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Is it a tube-type? Is it for a low light type tortoise? Then I would think the 5 is fine. But not the coil type, right?

Red

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
For our baby margies we like to use mercury vapor bulbs. They're clean because it's a single bulb and less fixtures over the cage blocking the view. The tube lights work well also but if the cage is big enough, about 4 square feet or bigger, we like mercury vapor. If you're using a strip or tube light, probably go with at least 5.0 or 10.0. The 10.0s put out use-able UV much further than the 5.0 will, so you can mount the fixture higher if needed and still get the benefit of the rays :)

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
I would go with the 5.0. Your tort is more of an warm and dry kind of tort. I use the ReptiSun® 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulb. I got mine at petco, it came with the hood for 30$. Your tort is not a "low light tort" because its from the areas of Greece, Italy and the Balkans in southern Europe . Lots of sun there so you don't need to worry about getting to much light. As long as you provide a micro-climate you should be just fine. That meaning he has an area where its warmer and an area that is cooler. You also need a basking light. I would go with either a ceramic heat emiter or a basking light of 50 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.