UV Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtsbrother

5 Year Member
Hi guys, I am replacing the UV light form my two spur-thighed torts and am getting the compact arcadia fitting. However, I'm not sure whether to get the medium (6%) or full fat (10%) bulb? any suggestions?

Ta,

Nick

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Nick, Hi welcome to the forum. Am I right that you are in the UK? And that the "spur thigh torts" are T. graeca graeca or T. graeca ibera and not Sulcatas? Is the 'compact arcadia fitting' in fact the compact fluorescent bulb?
If in fact it is, I do not recommend it for torts. It has presented issues with eyes. Check this site.
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
As a replacement, I'd suggest a Mercury Vapor Bulb (combined UVB, light, and heat), 100 watts for the typical enclosure, unless it's large or a big tort (let us know what type of tort, size of tort, and size and type of enclosure for more suggestions). For the typical enclosure, you may not need any other bulbs, except maybe night heat if the room is cold. Either the Mega Ray, T-Rex Active UV, or new Powersun models. They need a deep at least 10 inch diameter hood/dome with a ceramic socket. You also would probably need a lamp stand to adjust the height to adjust the temperature. They last 12 months vs. 6 for the tubes, and have a very high UVB output compared to the tubes (see the link Robyn posted; it is awesome for everything UVB-related). What country do you live in? I could give you some links to purchase if you are interested.

Welcome to the forum!

mrtsbrother

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome and the replies :)

They are T. graeca graeca off the top of my head I think they are 5 now (doesnt time fly...)

I already have a dimming thermostat so can crank the heat/light down at night for them so a single solution would be good - although I read on that link provided that MVBs cant be dimmed?

The encloure is not large and they are always out when I am home so I wont need anything mega powerful...

.....I jumped the gun and ordered the arcadia flouresent compact with reflector - looks like I will be selling that on unless you guys can suggest something that will fit that fitting that wont hurt my torts?

Thanks for the advice ;)

I'm in the UK by the way :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If your torts are out in the sun daily I would use the lightfixture for a night time heat lamp something like an Infared or Blacklight bulb should work or if you can turn them on independantly you can use a regular light bulb for heat and light for daytime in one and the infared in the other for night. Just as long as they are outside daily for sun you won't need a uvb. Also you will want to make sure to turn off all white light (they can't see the blacklight or infared) at night so that they can sleep just as you would.

Status
Not open for further replies.