Using Latex Enamel for tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregUnd

5 Year Member
Hello,
I was wondering if there are any health concearns for a young tortoise and latex enamel paint. I just built my enclosure and used a flat black latex enamel paint on the inside and out. I didn't know it was enamel when I used it but I later noticed the smell. I can't really see it being a problem but wanted to check just to make sure.

Thanks!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Once the smell has gone- no real concerns.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum. Definitely wait until it's completely dry and the fumes are gone before you put your tort inside.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum:) above post's got you covered what kind of tort do you have ?

GregUnd

5 Year Member
Ok, cool. Upon further inspection, it's not the latex enamel that smells, its the outside trim pieces that I used a silver metallic spray paint on(yes, he has a very nice habitat =) that smells, none of it is on the inside of the habitat. It's been over 24hrs and it sat out in the garrage all day in 90 degree heat.

Thank you everyone!

coreyc said:
Welcome to the forum:) above post's got you covered what kind of tort do you have ?

I have a sulcata, just got him in today. I say him, I'm pretty sure its a male but hard to tell.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    520.9 KB · Views: 41

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi GregUnd:

Welcome to the forum!

Is it safe to assume that your name is "Greg?"

May we know where you are?

Your new little guy's eyes look a little swollen to me. What kind of light are you using, and what kind of substrate?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
GregUnd said:
Ok, cool. Upon further inspection, it's not the latex enamel that smells, its the outside trim pieces that I used a silver metallic spray paint on(yes, he has a very nice habitat =) that smells, none of it is on the inside of the habitat. It's been over 24hrs and it sat out in the garrage all day in 90 degree heat.

Thank you everyone!

coreyc said:

I have a sulcata, just got him in today. I say him, I'm pretty sure its a male but hard to tell.

He's to young to tell have to wait a few do you have any pic's of your enclosure?

GregUnd

5 Year Member
Sure do. I'll have to take a couple more pics tomorrow that shows it all setup, it was too dark in his room to get a good picture with my iphone w/no flash. The "room" with the removable roof is his hideout. The dimensions are 36"x19", his hideout is 10"x10", if I remember correctly.

He still hasn't found his hideout yet, right now he is prefering to sleep in the corner with only 78 degrees of surface temp. Little does he know, there a nice heat pad and some damp sphagnum moss in there for him.

I've got the UVB light hanging above to maintain a temperature of 90-96degrees depending where your at in the "room", then if he walks around the corner the wall blocks the heat and seems to rest at a little above room temp, about 78 degrees, and if he were to take a right turn, he'd find his hideout, which sits at about 83 degrees.

This is my first "real" tortoise setup, any suggestions or advice I'm very open to. Any constructive criticism is welcome. The last time I owned a turtle was when I was a child, I had him for 6 years. But upon doing my recent research I now understand why he only lasted 6 years. I want the very best for my tortoise.

Attachments

• enclosure.JPG
    enclosure.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 43
  • enclosure2.JPG
    enclosure2.JPG
    494.5 KB · Views: 41

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome, im With everyone Above!
Wait till it Drys and The Smells Gone!

GregUnd

5 Year Member
Jacob said:
Welcome, im With everyone Above!
Wait till it Drys and The Smells Gone!

I have also just learned that my sulcata just turned 1 month old :D

GregUnd

5 Year Member
Here is the full setup. He ended up discovering his hideout today. Now I can't keep him out of it.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 33
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    441 KB · Views: 34
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    394.3 KB · Views: 32
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 30

GregUnd

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi GregUnd:

Welcome to the forum!

Is it safe to assume that your name is "Greg?"

May we know where you are?

Your new little guy's eyes look a little swollen to me. What kind of light are you using, and what kind of substrate?

I'm sorry, I just now saw your reply.

I'm in Houston,Tx, I just got him in yesterday. I'm using a cypress substrate, and I'm using the 100watt PowerSun Merc Vapor bulb.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Greg:

Light and substrate are both just fine, but how far from the bottom of the habitat is the light?

Have you given him a goo soak since you got him?

I'm sorry...I just read all the previous posts and saw your pictures. You've done a pretty nice job on the habitat. The light's distance looks good. Maybe the look of his eyes is just because he's so new.

GregUnd

5 Year Member
Thank you:D

The light distance is roughly 15"-16" from the substrate. When I came home today, the surface temp was 102 directly under the light and all the way down to 92 at the walls. I assume 15-16" is plenty close for the UVB light to be effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.