URGENT!! Tortoise ate Juniper Berries?? Lethal???!!!

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello all, struggling tort mama here!
I took my 3 1/2 year old Eastern Hermanns tortoise outside and let her explore and get some uv and rays, and I noticed she went under my Juniper tree, and when I went to retrieve her, I think she had gotten a hold of some of those blue Juniper berries!!! are these poisonis or even lethal to her?? Will they kill her or shorten her life span, and should I make a vet visit stat? I made sure to wash her off, and spray her down real nice (she loved it lol!) I would appreciate any answers as soon as possible, I'm freaking out!!!!

(I think she only ate 3-4ish-- maybe more or less)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Those Juniper berries are pretty nasty tasting & although your tort might have sampled one or two, I’m thinking the very astringent taste right off the bat would make it less likely to eat many.

SOAK: The best thing you can do is soak soak soak your tortoise & get it to eat watery juicy things. You want thorough gut hydration.

🌱 Juniper Berries - The flavor profile of young, green berries is dominated by pinene; as they mature this piney, resinous backdrop is joined by what Harold McGee describes as "green-fresh" and citrusnotes.[8] The outer scales of the berries are relatively flavourless, so the berries are almost always at least lightly crushed before being used as a spice. They are used both fresh and dried, but their flavour and odour are at their strongest immediately after harvest and decline during drying and storage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper_berry

Why you want to soak ➡️
  • Common Name: Juniper
  • Latin Name: Juniperus communis
  • Family Name: Cupressaceae
Juniper is a diuretic and could potentially cause kidney damage. Contains alkaloids, methanol, and dichloromethane, and all parts should be avoided.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Could it potentially kill her?
I will be sure to soak and hydrate very well, what are signs to look for in case of emergency?

Grace-Sophia

Texas
I'm really worried, she's acting completely normal though.:confused:
What to do... what to do 🤨