URGENT LIGHT HELP

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I just got my baby Hermann tortoise! He is a few months old but I am having a major issue with lighting. The light that I am currently using is the Zoomed Powersun UV self-ballasted mercury vapor UVB bulb 100W. I started using this bulb because it is the only one that I could find that provides heat, UVA, UVB and light all in one bulb. The problem is is that it gets way too hot for my little guy. It gets around 117 (is the highest temperature I've recorded it being, I don't know if it gets hotter) in the hot side and around 88 in the cool side, which is very hot for a little baby tort. I am currently turning off the bulb every other hour to give him a little break from the harsh lighting. Any suggestions on what to do or how to cool down the bulb? I can't seem to find a smaller wattage of this bulb. Should I just turn off the light all together and take my tortoise outside for a little bit a day? Help, I don't want to hurt my tortoise but I want him to get enough light! Any suggestions helps!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I use the ZooMed Large Light Stand to hang my PowerSun bulb. That way I can raise or lower it to get the correct temperature in the basking area. Also if you turn your bulb off or it gets unplugged it will not turn back on for around 15 minutes so do not think the bulb has gone bad.

The ZooMed PowerSun bulb has a warrantee of one year so be sure to save the box and your receipt. If the bulb goes bad just send it to them and they will replace it. They are a very good company to do business with. I have warranteed 2-3 bulbs out over the years and have never had a problem with their customer service.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255OUO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just got my baby Hermann tortoise! He is a few months old but I am having a major issue with lighting. The light that I am currently using is the Zoomed Powersun UV self-ballasted mercury vapor UVB bulb 100W. I started using this bulb because it is the only one that I could find that provides heat, UVA, UVB and light all in one bulb. The problem is is that it gets way too hot for my little guy. It gets around 117 (is the highest temperature I've recorded it being, I don't know if it gets hotter) in the hot side and around 88 in the cool side, which is very hot for a little baby tort. I am currently turning off the bulb every other hour to give him a little break from the harsh lighting. Any suggestions on what to do or how to cool down the bulb? I can't seem to find a smaller wattage of this bulb. Should I just turn off the light all together and take my tortoise outside for a little bit a day? Help, I don't want to hurt my tortoise but I want him to get enough light! Any suggestions helps!

You need to raise the bulb and fixture a few inches.

Or you can get a lower wattage regular flood bulb, and get a long UV tube to meet your babies UV needs. Either way, your indoor bulb is meant to simulate the sun, so it can't be on and off every other hour. Your tortoise needs a constant warm spot to use throughout each day when it feels the need to warm up.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

Please post pics of your tort as well as his enclosure.