Urgent help - Health and Food related

miramontes

Location (City and/or State)
sorocaba
So, two months ago my aunt called that her niece had bought two red-footed tortoises and then gave up on them and told her that she should take care of them. Since my aunt doesn't know anything about baby-tortoises, one of them died (I know, I was just as pissed as you guys might be).
Since I own a turtle for almost a decade right now and have adequate space in my house (plus installations like proper lamps and etc.) she told me about the existence of this baby tortoise and asked me if I could take care of the remaining one. Obviously I tried to help and took in Duda (that's her name now :D ).

The problem is that I don't know how they used to feed this little one, but "she" does not eat anything that is not mango, cloverleaves (small amount), and meat.
I took "her" to vets (very few here in Brazil are specialized in tortoise) and tried different foods and tortoise-feed (store-bought), but nothing. Tried mixing the store food with meat, and also nothing.

So far "she" is fine. She is active, likes to walk around, gets a lot of sunlight, bathing, etc. But I am extremely concerned about her health and development.

Do you guys have any tips for me?

Thank you very much,
Fernando
PS. here is a photo of Duda! Extremely small (around 44grams of weight)

Attachments

• duda.jpeg
    duda.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 11

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had good luck teaching baby yellowfoot tortoises to eat a more varied diet by covering the greens with Gerber strained fruit. Since your baby will eat mango, try juicing it up in a food processor until you have liquid mango and then chop the greens into tiny pieces and stir it into the mango juice.

miramontes

sorocaba
I had good luck teaching baby yellowfoot tortoises to eat a more varied diet by covering the greens with Gerber strained fruit. Since your baby will eat mango, try juicing it up in a food processor until you have liquid mango and then chop the greens into tiny pieces and stir it into the mango juice.
Thank you, I will try that!