Urates or Clear Liquid?

Tori67

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
Do tortoise have to excrete urates? I have a tort who mostly pees clear liquid, and a good amount of it too. I wasn’t sure if it was good or bad considering that he only passes urates sometimes

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Not sure what "sometimes" means as far as frequency, but it's my understanding that if they don't expel urates, it can cause bladder stones.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do tortoise have to excrete urates? I have a tort who mostly pees clear liquid, and a good amount of it too. I wasn’t sure if it was good or bad considering that he only passes urates sometimes
If your torts is soaked regularly and fed foods with a high water content, clear urates are likely. If someone is seeing frequent urates, they might need to bump up their hydration routine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think leopards pass urates. I've been keeping that species for a very long time and I've never seen urates.

Tori67

Connecticut
That’s the thing, he had a bladder stone removed. But i am making sure he is VERY hydrated, spraying his greens with water before he eats them, cucumber once a week (he’s on antibiotics so he needs to be very hydrated because he can’t take baths for now)

He pees a whole lot of clear liquid, it makes me nervous when I don’t see urates often. But he is also being way more hydrated then his previous owners gave him (which is where the bladder stone began)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think leopards pass urates. I've been keeping that species for a very long time and I've never seen urates.
Now that you say this, I can't remember ever seeing urates out of a leopard either... Mine always had water sources and lots of opuntia to eat, so lots of clear urine all the time (sooooo messy....), but I can't recall any urates ever.

My sulcatas would occasionally drop some urates. Russians, DTs, stars... but not my leopards, nor my radiata. The radiata drink all the time too though. I see them drinking almost every day. Very interesting...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have seen some from Levi. Not often and definitely not thick or gritty either. However, I can recall at least once or twice over the last 10 years where I saw small amounts of white liquid come out of him in his bath (before all the water was turned black and nasty from the poop!!)