Urate density

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
During daily soakings my 9 month old passes some urates every time along with fecal matter, Usually they are much less dense. Some are passed in the enclosure; about once every three days; just a little whitish coloration on the feces. 2 days ago during soaking he passed a large amount; still watery in consistency. But yesteday; he passed what was in the photo. It was creamy but much denser than previous times The only changes in diet has been the addition of fresh dandylion greens and grasses that have just started to emerge since weather has warmed up. Is this normal or something I need to watch out for?.

Attachments

• IMG_2948 (2).JPG
    IMG_2948 (2).JPG
    858 KB · Views: 48

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Creamy tooth paste texture is what you want them to be, not gritty.
How often do you soak? What is the humidity and temps? Is there water available 24/7? How large/old is the tort?

eric joranson

Creamy tooth paste texture is what you want them to be, not gritty.
How often do you soak? What is the humidity and temps? Is there water available 24/7? How large/old is the tort?
cool side is kept at 75-80 warm side 80-85 Humidity is 75-80 soak daily water is available 24/7 Age: 9 months weight 77 grams size: 3.5 inches enclosure size 2ftx 4.5 ftx 2ft (high). (Indoor).....outside enclosure is twice that size with room for larger as needed. A room in the house is being converted into Tortoise room; where he will have a 10 ft by 40 foot area. Heat sources are ceramic heat emitter; and Mercury reptile sun bulb

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
have they just came out of brumination(sp)?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have a sulcata so I don't know how much Urates are produced. It seems like a lot to me, as my Russian who will also produce Urates and is an older adult doesn't produce that much. The texture of the last ones you mentioned though are good, creamy tooth paste like.
@Yvonne G @Tom and others can confirm on the frequency of them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
During daily soakings my 9 month old passes some urates every time along with fecal matter, Usually they are much less dense. Some are passed in the enclosure; about once every three days; just a little whitish coloration on the feces. 2 days ago during soaking he passed a large amount; still watery in consistency. But yesteday; he passed what was in the photo. It was creamy but much denser than previous times The only changes in diet has been the addition of fresh dandylion greens and grasses that have just started to emerge since weather has warmed up. Is this normal or something I need to watch out for?.

100 grams is on the small side for a 9 month old, and that makes me suspect a dry start. How long have you had him?

eric joranson

100 grams is on the small side for a 9 month old, and that makes me suspect a dry start. How long have you had him?
3 months... hatched June 4th,,,,shell is nice and smooth; so not sure about dry start,,,,but been getting the best since I have had her/him. Still will not eat Mazuri.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
3 months... hatched June 4th,,,,shell is nice and smooth; so not sure about dry start,,,,but been getting the best since I have had her/him. Still will not eat Mazuri.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If this tortoise spent 6 months in conditions that were too dry, it would not have grown much, so pyramiding would be minimal. Just guessing here…

Anyhow, to your original inquiry: I wouldn't expect urates after three months of daily soaks, but I suppose it is possible.

eric joranson

Anyhow, to your original inquiry: I wouldn't expect urates after three months of daily soaks, but I suppose it is possible.[/QUOTE]
Its during his daily soaks; that he passes most of his urates;( usually just a light semi- transparent milky squirt); .(which it has has daily/15-30 minutes depending on cooling rate of warm water (80F to 70F) since I got him/her in Dec) But in the past 2 weeks the urates are somewhat denser; (toothpaste like)sometimes before defecating; sometimes after. I was under the impression that urates are a bi product of metabolism; and expected to see them through out its lifetime. Am I mistaken on that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Anyhow, to your original inquiry: I wouldn't expect urates after three months of daily soaks, but I suppose it is possible.
Its during his daily soaks; that he passes most of his urates;( usually just a light semi- transparent milky squirt); .(which it has has daily/15-30 minutes depending on cooling rate of warm water (80F to 70F) since I got him/her in Dec) But in the past 2 weeks the urates are somewhat denser; (toothpaste like)sometimes before defecating; sometimes after. I was under the impression that urates are a bi product of metabolism; and expected to see them through out its lifetime. Am I mistaken on that?[/QUOTE]

Generally, more urates are produced in tortoises that are not as well hydrated and in tortoises fed a lot of protein. Daily soaks should all but eliminate them even with a higher than average protein intake.

Bee62

Germany
Hello Eric,

how much gains your tortoise in weight in a week or two ?
My little sulcatas are 8 months old and all three weight over 200 grams.

eric joranson

Hello Eric,

how much gains your tortoise in weight in a week or two ?
My little sulcatas are 8 months old and all three weight over 200 grams.
I cannot say about weekly progress; my scale broke and just got a new one. In Dec was a mere 44 grams. Now in March he is 77. But I can see that he's small by your comparison. With new scale I will be checking it with more regularity..

eric joranson

Its during his daily soaks; that he passes most of his urates;( usually just a light semi- transparent milky squirt); .(which it has has daily/15-30 minutes depending on cooling rate of warm water (80F to 70F) since I got him/her in Dec) But in the past 2 weeks the urates are somewhat denser; (toothpaste like)sometimes before defecating; sometimes after. I was under the impression that urates are a bi product of metabolism; and expected to see them through out its lifetime. Am I mistaken on that?

Generally, more urates are produced in tortoises that are not as well hydrated and in tortoises fed a lot of protein. Daily soaks should all but eliminate them even with a higher than average protein intake.[/QUOTE]
Have not been adding any protein in his diet; other than what he is getting through grassland diet; and some spring mix; and various grasses; I did forget to add that cactus pads have recently been added to his diet; given twice weekly...but based on your comments I think I will increase his soaks to twice a day. Although I have also noticed he/she chooses to sit in his water dish and soak on its own during the late afternoon.

Bee62

Germany
Checking the weight of a baby tortoise is a important thing. The weight can tell you a lot about the health of your tort. A sulcata baby should gain steadily weight. At the age of 6 months my little ones gained 1 gram / day.
Now the increasis of weight will be more how older they get and the more they can eat.

Bee62

Germany
eric joranson said
Have not been adding any protein in his diet; other than what he is getting through grassland diet; and some spring mix; and various grasses; I did forget to add that cactus pads have recently been added to his diet; given twice weekly...but based on your comments I think I will increase his soaks to twice a day. Although I have also noticed he/she chooses to sit in his water dish and soak on its own during the late afternoon.

I`ve read that you have feed fresh dandelion to your tort. Fresh grown up dandelion may have more protein I guess.
Soak your baby twice a day is a good idea. When he sits in his water dish, he mayby knows that he needs more humidity.

eric joranson

Checking the weight of a baby tortoise is a important thing. The weight can tell you a lot about the health of your tort. A sulcata baby should gain steadily weight. At the age of 6 months my little ones gained 1 gram / day.
Now the increasis of weight will be more how older they get and the more they can eat.
UPDATE:
gained 13 grams in past 7 days..... from 77 to 90 grams. The new dandylion greens; clover and some early grasses seem to help . Doing 2 a day soaks; and although much less dense there are still small amounts of urates (semi transparent clouds; and some small dabs on the fecal material).

Bee62

Germany
eric joranson said
UPDATE:
gained 13 grams in past 7 days..... from 77 to 90 grams. The new dandylion greens; clover and some early grasses seem to help . Doing 2 a day soaks; and although much less dense there are still small amounts of urates (semi transparent clouds; and some small dabs on the fecal material).

Wow ! 13 gramms in 7 days is a lot ! Great ! Only a healthy tort grows as fast as yours. Your doing a great job.

eric joranson

eric joranson said

Wow ! 13 grams in 7 days is a lot ! Great ! Only a healthy tort grows as fast as yours. Your doing a great job.
might have gotten a little ahead of myself..after a few days of checking we are still gaining 1 gram/day.....those three gram days were taken before he/she defecated. Seems to drop 2 grams every time he passes stools. Urates are still present; but in minute quantities; less each day. But I'll take the gram a day gain....it all adds up.