Upside Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
So is it normal for torts to be on there backs a lot? Mine seem to get flipped over a ton. And they aren't good at getting back over. I normally have to help them alone....is it bad or unhealthy for them. Idk. :/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

christopherkearney0

5 Year Member
Tortoises lungs are in the top of their shell. It's very bad for them to be flipped. It doesn't mean something's wrong, just that their little clutzs! Keep flipping them back right as soon as you see it.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
If it's happening a lot, you may want to place some objects in their frequent flipping spots which they can use to help right themselves. A plant, a rock, a piece of wood -- these things can all assist your tort when you're not there to come to the rescue.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
If you have more than one tort in the enclosure, they could be flipping each other. Id see whats causing it and fix it. Them being flipped is dangerous. Good Luck

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
It's always in one spot and I have seen them flip. I have a like bark half hide thing in there...you can get them at petsmart....they like to climb it but coming back down they fall and roll :/

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Get rid of it or build it up with substrate. They love to climb and will try and climb everything they see. I change my habitat every so often and I spend hours watching where they climb and flip so I can eliminate the threat. Slooping the substrate up into a ramp in the corners also helps. Mine can't get vertical in the corners so they can't flip over....as much! :)

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Sounds weird to say a tortoise loves to climb haha. I built up the substrate two days ago. Since then I haven't seen him on it. I think it made him mad

Susan W.

5 Year Member
Michigan USA
I absolutely LOVE reading all of the information on tortoise forum! I am learning so much and getting so excited to start collecting what I need to make my new little addition happy and healthy! I thought I would be building an inside enclosure and just an occasional outside place, now I'm finding out that outside is best and inside when necessary. I have a perfect place that I can utilize that is already fenced off away from our hounds, now just to put down rock or whatever down so they can't dig themselves out of it. Thanks so much to everyone for all of the help and information!!

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I heard hatchlings like to flip a lot. They will grow out of it. Just put things where he/she flips maybe this will help with the flipping till he/she grows out of it.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Blgreek08 said:
Sounds weird to say a tortoise loves to climb haha. I built up the substrate two days ago. Since then I haven't seen him on it. I think it made him mad

I had a potted plant in my habitat. The lip of the plant was about three inches over the top of the substrate. I came home and could not find one of my little guys. He was in the plant asleep! I live alone. The only way he could have gotten in there (he being a 2 inch Leo) is to have climbed on top of one of his pen mates. When I got home from work later that day, the other Leo was in there as well. I took the pot away and it turns out that Leo's love them some oregano! The plant was gone in two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.