*UPDATE ON VIOLET THE LEOPARD TORTOISE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Respiratory infection as far as can be seen as far as eyes, nose, and breathing is gone. Now for her weight to be upped. I've been keeping her humidity high as told to by a fellow member on here. I mixed the dirt with moss to help it stay moist and humid. We've started going outside s eliminated the uv bulb. Took her out today and she has pretty much picked at her mazuri the entire time. So practically nothing was going thru her. But when I sat her down today on the dirt she RAN towards the little grassy area, only one we have and it's sparse... And started munching!!! We finally got some spring mix, and I think she nibbled at that in her tank... I am going to offer more of course tomorrow in the morning or afternoon outside in the sunshine and see if it wets her appetite like it did today! But all in all, she seems to be doing well, besides being sluggish inside, and active outside. I'm trying very hard to get that dirt and what not for her outside enclosure in the kiddie sandbox.... Trying on free cycle, but nothing yet for dirt... Hard month this month, so just gotta take it day by day! But great thing is she is doing wonderful compared to how she was!!! Still giving her the eye drops almost daily for maintenance as it says on the box, and I have a second bottle, which this stuff should last eons!!! Gotta love Zoo Med! Any advice on how to get her to eat inside the house would be appreciated!!! She seems to have been seriously mistreated before I got her!!!

image-886916001.png

image-2522235950.png

image-2854124367.png

image-1212575117.png

Above are pics of her adventure outside!!! It IS the desert here so not as lush as where most of you live....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She knows what's good for her!! Maybe you can buy a little box of that grass they sell in the pet store for cats.

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
emysemys said:
She knows what's good for her!! Maybe you can buy a little box of that grass they sell in the pet store for cats.

I'm growing grass in her tank, but she won't eat it... BUT:
She TORE up her salad today! Not nibbled it like yesterday!!! I let her heat lamp heat her waterbowl/pool for a hour then I placed her in it and tore up some spring mix and gave her as much as I'm giving my baby beardies, about a handful or so.... And so I went in this evening and IT WAS ALMOST ALL GONE!!! As well as most of her one large pellet of moistened mazuri!!! All we have is the large pellets which is what he gave us, so we have to moisten it.... But SHE ATE!!! ALOT!!! She is sooooo on the road to recovery!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad she is on her way to normal. Mazuri only comes in big pellets that I know of. We all moisten it until mush, at least until our torts get big. Keep up the good work and hope she keeps going in the right direction.

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
wellington said:
So glad she is on her way to normal. Mazuri only comes in big pellets that I know of. We all moisten it until mush, at least until our torts get big. Keep up the good work and hope she keeps going in the right direction.

Thanks.! I'm trying my hardest despite hardships at home. Our new motorized bike we JUST BUILT got stolen. Worth $600..... And it was gone the next day. Locked, alarm, the works.... Wonderful beautiful bike... GONe!!! But this too shall pass. She got a second soak tonight, and took a nibble of a second helping of salad I offered her in case she might want more. But she nibbled a tiny piece, and headed toward her favorite sleepytime spot. So shes out cold for the night.

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
AND VIOLET IS DOING EVEN BETTER AS TIME GOES ON!!!
View attachment 40209
1be8a705da4f191b15ad7007eea22254_zpscfeb0c90.jpg

2514f36c2042993825fbb8b528065bef_zps4907e52c.jpg
67de6c9a3b5492d8319f562ee8805e3f_zps9890324e.jpg

And she has a sibling now!!!

*~*~*~ Love always bring difficulties, that is true, but the good side of it is that it gives energy ~*~*~*
-Vincent Van Gogh-
-TORTOISES I OWN!!!-
1- 3yr old South African Leopard Tort
1- Hatchling Sulcata Tort

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.