Update on rescued injured sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logz23

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond VA
I posted a few days ago about a found sulcata with shell injury and said i would post pictures but had camera problems.No problems anymore, here are some pics of his injury and his enclosure.I have a 125 watt mercury vapor bulb, 100 watt ceramic heat bulb, a bag of grazing tortoise seed mix from carolinasupply and some cuttlebones on the way right now.I just added the lower level of the enclosure on sat. i will be growing all of his food on the right side underneath the table.I still have to get some more plastic to line the bottom with and some more substrate ( i used vinyl flooring followed by two shower curtain liners with cypress mulch up top).On sunday i stripped pieces of bark off of freshly cut poplar tree and made them into a nice looking hide in one corner up top and also lined the tunnel with it too (pics soon).I really would like to hear about the injury, i have been using triple antibiotic ointment and have gotten rid of the drywall tape and duct tape for a large bandage. I thought that the flies could still get through tape so i got rid of it. Any input would be helpful, i found him a week ago in the middle of the road.

he was sleeping when i took his picture so i will post more showing all of him.Hes very active and has been getting to go outside everyday.hes been eating dadelion,romaine, GRAZING, and i got him some mazuri that he has only gotten twice.cant wait for the seeds to get here

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That injury looks as it it was either a road burn or a burn from the light being too close to him (or falling on him). It should be ok once it dries out. Just leave it open to the air and don't put anything on it.

Logz23

5 Year Member
Richmond VA
what about flies landing on it. the outer shell is completely gone.wont maggots appear if flies land on it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, you should keep him indoors until its all dry and won't attract flies anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.