Update on little Abe; still a little concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

boil3rr

5 Year Member
Hey guys,
about a week and a half ago I got a little Cherry Head Red Foot Tortoise. Best purchase ever =). I'm happy to say that he's starting to get more active: eating more and basking. I have been taking the little dude outside whenever the weather was warm enough. I still have a couple of questions. Pictures below are of his shell first one being the day when I got him to last one from today 9/13/12. At first I was told that he might have a little shell rot going on. I think that the bottom of his shell has been getting better; I've been using anti fungal cream to control it. Until someone couple days ago said that I might be dealing with a bacterial infection at which point I started putting anti bacterial cream on it. My question is: What do you guys think it is? I began thinking that it might still be from his yolk sack?( He's about 7 months old) Or am I dealing with something more serious here. Some other questions I got is what do your baby tortoises like to eat? I've noticed that he has an appetite for cucumber, carrots, some veggies from the spring mix and he eats grass when I take him out. He also loves strawberries and grape. Any other suggestions on what I can feed the little guy? Thank You for all your input.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    941.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    759.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0716.JPG
    IMG_0716.JPG
    953.9 KB · Views: 25

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Those dry looking regions in your first picture are a form of shell rot. I don't know if it's bacterial or fungal, but it seems to be improving. Stick with whichever cream is providing the best results and give it time.

Status
Not open for further replies.