Update on hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
As a few of you know, my female laid eggs and at the end of may hatched 4 baby box turtles. It took them about a month to even eat and taste food. It took about another week before they started eating more and able to eat whole worms. Today and this whole past week they actually been coming out of their coma and looking for food. Ill throw a worm or two into the enclosure and they come running and will eat the worm. They are becoming very healthy active turtles. Ill post pictures soon as I get home. I'm just happy they have an appetite

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Im very happy they doing good,yes i would love to see pics.
Are all box babies like that?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Like what? Baby box turtles tend to not eat the first few weeks after hatching, and they are rarely seen. They hide 20 hrs of the day and will only come out early early morning if ever. Sometimes they will just stay under for weeks if you don't dig them out. It's very common, in the wild they are in survival mode. Te older they get tho the more they will start coming out.

My guys I feel like are just more comfortable and that's why they been coming out. Baby box turtles can be a pain to raise but man they have the cutest faces lol.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yes that is what i mean.do u keep the babies inside,or outside....i cant wait to see the pics. What kind of boxies do u have?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I keep them inside and I put them outside on the porch and in a soak 3 times a week. Also feed them outside so they can get sun. They have a UVB and heat bulb, and it's a 10 gallon Rubbermaid. 6 inches of soil and peat moss mix

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
How many babies u have? I will be getting my boxies tomorrow morrning,hopefully they will be alright

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I hatched 4 of them they are about 2.5 months old. And last week I rescued a little baby ornate, he's probably 6-12months old

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Awww, where the hell did u find him? Its nice that u took him.otherwise he would be dead im sure.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
A guy contacted me saying he had a little guy on the verge of death and I went to go see him and I ended up bringing it back with me. It's a baby ornate.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Awww...glad that u fixed him up ,and that you have the knowledge to do so

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Millerlite said:
I keep them inside and I put them outside on the porch and in a soak 3 times a week. Also feed them outside so they can get sun. They have a UVB and heat bulb, and it's a 10 gallon Rubbermaid. 6 inches of soil and peat moss mix

Have you tried not using the uvb or heat bulb, with my easterns I never use extra heat from above and only use fluorescent lighting right after hatching out. Sometimes the light is off to the side not directly above the youngsters. They seem to do fine this way since they spend so much time hidden anyway.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I do about the same Len. They really are adorable, but you are right they are a pain, and a worry. I hate starting off new hatchlings. I always get so nervous, and it takes so long for them to start eating. Another reason I don't take in any eggs. Pictures?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Some days I do only turn one or the other on to see if they prefer to come out. The heat bulb is not to high on wattage and puts off little heat, just keeps it warm. I also have a water fish and little plant.
159DAE1C-F22E-48AC-B0D9-31808E9D7856-5415-0000044EEC18FBE2_zps0ae14b0e.jpg

ksanchez

5 Year Member
Ca
They are so darn adorable. Congratulations.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
OH.MI.GOSH. Little darlings. They are precious little things. The no eating for that long would freak me out but if those of you that know better know that it is okay, phew, good. Super cuties! Good work Kyle! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.