meluhniebby

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
image-800159844.png

image-449006832.png

image-394525838.png

image-1945827631.png

Brrrr! It's been way too cold here in PA lately for Lola to go out and get some fresh air in the yard so I've been turning my cousins old baby bed that hooks up to the side of the bed into a mini enclosure with mulch at the bottom so she has a change of scenery that I can keep warm for her :) anyone else feel bad for torts who can't go outside for what I'm sure to them feels like forever ?

I have another question that's completely random but I was in my local pet store the other day and saw reptishell... what is it and what does it do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I see rabbit pellets as a substrate. That is old school and the worse substrate to use. Also do you have a humid hide for him or the enclsoures humidity up. I do see pyramiding, although it does look like the new growth might be coming in smooth. Coconut coir or cypress mulch are good substrates. I like the bed idea. I actually bought a pop up green house for this time of year. It heats up quick and as long as its a sunny day, he gets to go out in it. I'm in Chicago, so, ya, we are having the cold fall days. But sunny:)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Beautiful tortoise. It looks like you are using cypress mulch and rabbit pellets as substrate. Is that correct? If so then I would take out the pellets and use only cypress mulch. What is the humidity at in the cage?

meluhniebby

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Yes I know the pellets aren't the best but 90% of the encloure is cypress mulch, we just needed something to fill in so she's got something there :)

oh and her humidity ranges between 35-45%.

meluhniebby

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Home from school and I just removed the pellets and replaced it with plain soil for now. To raise the humidity I've been spraying her and the enclosure with water, which I did before every once in awhile but now ill be sure to do it more often. Thanks guys I appreciate it, and so does Lola :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very pretty leopard tortoise. I'll be interested in watching Lola grow.

meluhniebby

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Pictures of Lola and her enclosure with soil are below, when I put her back in the enclosure after her soak she went right onto that side and is still chillin there so she must like it :) thank you guys for the help. but with that being said...is perlite bad for torts? I think this weekend I'll be shopping for some plants for her home, as well as new soil if perlite is harmful, any suggestions would be appreciated.

image-2870626482.png

image-2142974385.png

Status
Not open for further replies.