Unidentified Tortoise introduction.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeTee

5 Year Member
Hi!

I have a 7 year (approx) old tortoise called Stavros which i have personally had for 3 years.

I am led to believe he is a Greek Marginated but having looked at pictures online i'm not so sure.

I am looking to build a new pen and get a few more ideas on dietry needs. I realise this all depends on what type of tortoise I have so thought i'd post to see what help I can get.

Cheers!
Lee

Attachments

• IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    369.5 KB · Views: 70

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Welcome to the forum, I am not the best at tort ID but im sure you will get the answer soon enough along with some care advice.

'Or like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lee, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not good at I.D.ing the Mediterranean species of tortoise, however, I'm pretty sure that "Greek" and "Marginated" are two different species of tortoise.

The marginated has a flared shell above the back legs, and I can't see that portion of your tortoise's anatomy, but I'm guessing Greek.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) as Yvonne said, Greeks and Marginated are two different species. I'm not to good at IDing them either, but I must agree, it looks like a Greek.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It is definitely a Greek tortoise. From that view it looks like an Ibera Greek, Testudo (gracea) ibera. But a view from straight above and one showing the plastron (bottom) would tell better.

Greeks and Marginateds are two distinctly different species in terms of appearance, but very similar in terms of captive care.

Status
Not open for further replies.