Unboxed my new baby!

Location (City and/or State)
Gulf Coast of Florida
Keep the coconut coir moist. I just pour warm water in and mix it up with my hand so that it is moist, but not too wet. I then press it down with my hand which makes it easier for the babies to walk on, plus it becomes less messy. My babies love ZooMed sphagnum moss. I have a big pile of it under their basking light. They love to burrow into the warm, moist moss. You can also place some in the hide. Your little baby would probably like some fake plants to hide underneath which will make him feel more secure, however, do not put them too close to the edge as you do not want the baby climbing up the plant and getting out. You can buy small fake silk plants at the craft store. I buy my moss, coconut coir and other supplies from Petmountain.com. They have good prices.
I have added the water and patted down. Thanks!

Gulf Coast of Florida
Keep the coconut coir moist. I just pour warm water in and mix it up with my hand so that it is moist, but not too wet. I then press it down with my hand which makes it easier for the babies to walk on, plus it becomes less messy. My babies love ZooMed sphagnum moss. I have a big pile of it under their basking light. They love to burrow into the warm, moist moss. You can also place some in the hide. Your little baby would probably like some fake plants to hide underneath which will make him feel more secure, however, do not put them too close to the edge as you do not want the baby climbing up the plant and getting out. You can buy small fake silk plants at the craft store. I buy my moss, coconut coir and other supplies from Petmountain.com. They have good prices.
Is this the moss?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478352274.951516.jpg

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
You could also add another hide in the enclosure so the baby can choose which one he wants. Baby tortoises in the wild are prey, so a lot of open space makes them afraid. As I mentioned before, I would add some fake plants in the enclosure for him to hide under, plus they look pretty in the enclosure.

Last edited:

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA

Holly'sMom

I have added the water and patted down. Thanks!
I use this brand too. I don't have Greeks I have Sulcatas but when I do soakings I'll take a regular dollar store bought spray bottle and spray mist the whole enclosure including the hides I need a really high humidity though, not sure if it's the same with Greeks.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I've got the same cage as you! Be careful of the lid-- it can fall on your fingers. I removed my hinges and added soft close ones. Was a huge help.

Good luck to you and your beautiful baby!