Unboxed my new baby!

Location (City and/or State)
Gulf Coast of Florida
So I got my golden Greek baby today :) SO tiny...super tiny in his giant table. He has not eaten (I unboxed him this morning) and "gone to bed" already and I'm trying not to be scared out of my mind. I gave him a nice soak as soon as I got him and have been misting him all day.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478216032.892366.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He's lovely, and will take a little while to settle,
Have you found the caresheet section yet?
Beginners Mistakes (link below) and Enclosures are also really useful.
Good luck to you both.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
He is so adorable. For my baby tortoises I like to use moist coconut coir as I find the cypress pieces to be too pointed and it is hard for them to dig into it. For an adult or sub-adult I like the cypress mulch. :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Cutie! Do you have a warm humid hide for it to sleep in?

Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm hoping you guys can reassure me. I'm so nervous. Little guy has been very lethargic since lights came on. Tried a warm soak but he just kept letting his head fall into the water. I've got him under his basking lamp. He's not eaten. He won't open his eyes. Is he just super stressed? I hope I didn't make a mistake getting such a baby.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
May I ask where you got your baby from? and what types of temps/humidity you have going so far?

+1 one on the coco choir or another looser substrate they your tort can more easily traverse.

Sometimes it takes our torts a while to wake up in the morning.... and sometimes they sleep clear through till lunch......

I am sure your little tort is just stressed from travel and sleeping... try to stay calm.

Gulf Coast of Florida
May I ask where you got your baby from? and what types of temps/humidity you have going so far?

+1 one on the coco choir or another looser substrate they your tort can more easily traverse.

Sometimes it takes our torts a while to wake up in the morning.... and sometimes they sleep clear through till lunch......

I am sure your little tort is just stressed from travel and sleeping... try to stay calm.

This? I can return it if not right.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478271817.622784.jpg

Gulf Coast of Florida

I got my baby from tortoise town. They do have a 7 day health guarantee as long as you prove husbandry conditions are good.

As for numbers, here they are:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478272049.320742.jpg

65% humidity in enclosure (I could go higher with mists but I haven't because of the confusion regarding Golden Greeks vs. Greeks that I haven't received any feedback on). Temp in enclosure is 86F and there's a cool side that's enclosed some to the right. Basking temp is 96F.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478272182.546372.jpg

I just got him a tiny hide that I'm going to keep near the CHE for night and it's more accessible for him in this large table. And tiny so comforting. I've got him soaking in pumpkin baby food and warm water right now. He still hasn't opened eyes since last night.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
It definitely seems like you are doing everything correctly..... I do not have experience with Greeks at all though.

I would definitely contact Tortoise Town, maybe they have some good pointers? I know they are a reputable source and should be more than willing to help.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Check out the care sheet in the species specific section. It will tell you all you need to know. Then ask questions.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Oh gosh, he is tiny! how old is he?

Glad he is out and about. Keep up with the soaks, but otherwise maybe just let him explore. He must be scared & over handling might really throw him off.

Gulf Coast of Florida
Check out the care sheet in the species specific section. It will tell you all you need to know. Then ask questions.
Thank you, did that before I got my tortoise. Have been on the forums for a bit now. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of info on Goldens except a care sheet I have linked in another thread that states they need much less humidity than other Greeks.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A gorgeous tort. GOD bless.

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes"Thread and the care sheet. Ask any question when in need of help, and do NOT worry.

(By the way I have had a Greek tort for more than five years and I'm madly in love with him).

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Keep the coconut coir moist. I just pour warm water in and mix it up with my hand so that it is moist, but not too wet. I then press it down with my hand which makes it easier for the babies to walk on, plus it becomes less messy. My babies love ZooMed sphagnum moss. I have a big pile of it under their basking light. They love to burrow into the warm, moist moss. You can also place some in the hide. Your little baby would probably like some fake plants to hide underneath which will make him feel more secure, however, do not put them too close to the edge as you do not want the baby climbing up the plant and getting out. You can buy small fake silk plants at the craft store. I buy my moss, coconut coir and other supplies from Petmountain.com. They have good prices.