UK owners - best potting soil?

Stevie909

Hi folks,

Hope everyone is well. Now that the weather seems to be on the turn I'll finally get to use the greenhouse to start growing weeds etc for my Hermann's. Im just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the best soil for planting in?

I know it has to be free from any chemicals etc, and from looking online they don't necessarily specify. I'd prefer to order it in or at least know where I'm going for it rather than trawl around shops needlessly for obvious reasons.

Also if anyone has recommendations for where to pick up seeds that'd be great. I've tried the standard weed mixes available from reptile shops in the past but these usually turn out a bit naff and would rather have individual batches of different weeds.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
for seeds EBAY looks good even has plantain weed seeds https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Tortoise-Seeds/1285/bn_7023553526
As it warms up I find long walks with neglected yards and public areas yield the best weeds and with no chemicals. Stay away from golf courses and manicured lawns.
for soil prep I would just till up the ground and mix in a compost. If you do a raised bed then just soil. You would be very surprised at how unsnooty weeds are and actually prefer worse ground. Just make sure the soil is loose and well watered not soaking wet daily as they sprout. Chemicals (for growth) in the soil are okay as the plant converts them as they grow. The big issue is the pesticides they use to keep bugs out- when you read pesticide think Nerve Agent (VX gas was developed from a pesticide). Good luck I used my mini-greenhouse to over winter three new hibiscus bushes and they have started sprouting!

Stevie909

for seeds EBAY looks good even has plantain weed seeds https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Tortoise-Seeds/1285/bn_7023553526
As it warms up I find long walks with neglected yards and public areas yield the best weeds and with no chemicals. Stay away from golf courses and manicured lawns.
for soil prep I would just till up the ground and mix in a compost. If you do a raised bed then just soil. You would be very surprised at how unsnooty weeds are and actually prefer worse ground. Just make sure the soil is loose and well watered not soaking wet daily as they sprout. Chemicals (for growth) in the soil are okay as the plant converts them as they grow. The big issue is the pesticides they use to keep bugs out- when you read pesticide think Nerve Agent (VX gas was developed from a pesticide). Good luck I used my mini-greenhouse to over winter three new hibiscus bushes and they have started sprouting!

Thanks for chipping in mate. We've got loads of large fields at the back of us with long walks that we take the dog down. I'm not ashamed to admit I took a freezer bag out with me last year on walks and swiped some dandelions and other bits. Hibiscus is definitely on the list, what did you pot them in?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Thanks for chipping in mate. We've got loads of large fields at the back of us with long walks that we take the dog down. I'm not ashamed to admit I took a freezer bag out with me last year on walks and swiped some dandelions and other bits. Hibiscus is definitely on the list, what did you pot them in?
I have a local garden center that has been almost organic before there was organic. I use Black Kow products and love mixing there Mushroom Compost with soil. The mother hibiscus sends out runners like a champ and I was able to save the three. This year I am up my game since I want a hibiscus grove for my Leopard enclosure. Lastly that is how you can tell if someone has tortoises-- they linger by overgrown plots and are excited at the sight of weeds.