typical yearling leopard weights??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
These torts put Olive to shame in the growth category! I just weighed and measured her yesterday. She's just shy of one year and is about 3 3/8" and 120 grams-ish (I say ish because I don't have the most accurate scale in the world, especially for lower weights).

Here's a picture!

photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
She is sooo cute!!

I dont think my little zuri's weight is typical. Yours seems to be the norm from everything I have read.

She looks great :)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
jesst said:
She is sooo cute!!

I dont think my little zuri's weight is typical. Yours seems to be the norm from everything I have read.

She looks great :)

Thanks!

I still can't believe Zuri's size! She's only a little smaller than my year and half old redfoot!

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Another weigh in..it has been 11 days sinfe the last weigh in.
Today he weighed....
20130112_152052.jpg

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
jesst said:
Today he weighed....
20130112_152052.jpg

Beautiful!! What do you feed your leopard? Do you keep it in high humidity etc? Wanting mine to be happy & healthy too :D

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
MasterOogway said:
jesst said:
Today he weighed....
20130112_152052.jpg

Beautiful!! What do you feed your leopard? Do you keep it in high humidity etc? Wanting mine to be happy & healthy too :D
Thanks.
He will only eat dark greens, I have tried mazuri and zoo med but he hated it. I have always kept him in a closed chamber enclosure. This is his current one. This was when I first got it so it is kind of bare. It is 5x2. i still spray him daily and his humidity stays pretty high in his enclosure. I soak his substrate twice a month. I am using mulch and peat moss.
20121104_214748.jpg

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
He will only eat dark greens, I have tried mazuri and zoo med but he hated it. I have always kept him in a closed chamber enclosure. This is his current one. This was when I first got it so it is kind of bare. It is 5x2. i still spray him daily and his humidity stays pretty high in his enclosure. I soak his substrate twice a month. I am using mulch and peat moss.
20121104_214748.jpg

[/quote]

Thanks.Mine will only eat dark greens too.He doesn't want grass or weeds either. I keep trying the tortoise food but no way. I appreciate you explaining the details that is always a big help . I hope Master Oogway turns out just as beautiful.Thanks again!

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
what a gorgeous tort! awesome. i have one that is just 3 months old and weighs 74 grams. he eats everything, all sorts of greens, mazuri, land tort food, everything. he's not been picky since i first got him when he was 2 months. he's doubled in weight since i got him too. yours looks great. thanks for posting this thread. it's great to see.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
What kind of enclosure is that? As in, what was it described as? Because most vivariums are a lot smaller than that and dont have holes for light fixtures. Did you make the holes yourself? I'm very impressed with that enclosure!

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
LeopardTortLover said:
What kind of enclosure is that? As in, what was it described as? Because most vivariums are a lot smaller than that and dont have holes for light fixtures. Did you make the holes yourself? I'm very impressed with that enclosure!

It is a cages by design cage I got of craigslist.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
It has been a few weeks since I last posted....and someone has broken the 600g mark. These are from yesterday

20130209_170555_zps2351266d.jpg

20130209_170601_zps523d1acf.jpg

20130209_170719_zps729d1291.jpg

20130209_170725_zpsb21530b1.jpg

Lois

5 Year Member
jesst said:
Zenna who we think is a male and now call Zuri just reached 458g or a pound. He is only 11.5 months old. Also are there any known risks for them growing so fast?

Wow! I thought mine was growing fast! He is 1 year Feb.22 weights 200 grams. I've fed him grass,weeds,flowers,cactus. He seems to be getting a little pyramiding. I keep him in a tortoise table,cool dry end and moist basking end. MVB for basking.Cuttle bone and added cuttlebone powder on is greens. Sunshine when the weather permits.:rolleyes:
:tort: Lois

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Jess, my Humphrey looks just like Zuri. He is 1 year and 10 months now and is weighing in at 2 lbs. or apprx. 1000 grams. (s)He was exactly 500 grams on his first birthday.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
DesertGrandma said:
Jess, my Humphrey looks just like Zuri. He is 1 year and 10 months now and is weighing in at 2 lbs. or apprx. 1000 grams. (s)He was exactly 500 grams on his first birthday.

He's a big boy too and very handsome. :)

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
jesst said:
Zenna who we think is a male and now call Zuri just reached 458g or a pound. He is only 11.5 months old. Also are there any known risks for them growing so fast?

I have a sibling to yours also he hatched christmas and he is almost 500g at 14months my other one was 419 g at 18months when I got him and will be 3 in may and is 4lbs 11oz now. :) yay for happy torts :)

jasonminister

5 Year Member
UK
Neal said:
I don't think there are any risks really. Time will tell if there are any health issues with growing that fast, but I am not aware of any examples where a tortoise has suffered ailments from growing too fast.

That is very high for a babcocki leopard under a year. The tortoises from my smallest producing female typically range in the 100 - 200 gram mark after a year. I have had specimens from larger females top over 300 grams after a year, but never over 400. Locality genetics may be a factor in why yours has grown so fast.

Is 2kg and just over 9 inches a good weight and size for a male leopard tortoise at approximately 3 years old?

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Yet again another weigh in and today he is 711g! That is an 120g weight gain this month :-0. I think he is going to be as big as my sullie

Status
Not open for further replies.