Typical soaking habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachmn

5 Year Member
Alright. So everything has been going really well since I posted last - he is eating readily, sleeping, no runny eyes, lately he has been up at the break of dawn(feeding time), exploring. He doesn't scamper to hide when I poke my head in to see him but he still does bob his head.
He hasn't really soaked very much that I have witnessed. I attributed this to the fact that I keep the lower substrate fairly moist and the upper dry, I spray the enclosure down every day and I have a warm air humidifier that I run for a few hours a day...our house tends to be very dry in the winter.
I have soaked him a number of times and he has seemed to "enjoy" it. But today after eating he got into the pool and hasn't been out yet, that was a few hours ago at least. Is this a normal amount of time for them to soak themselves?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I only have one Cherry Head, so I can only go by what he does. He never sits in his water when he's inside, only takes a drink and it's big enough for him to sit in. When he's outside he will walk through the stream, and sometimes go in the pond, but never just sits in there.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
terryo said:
I only have one Cherry Head, so I can only go by what he does. He never sits in his water when he's inside, only takes a drink and it's big enough for him to sit in. When he's outside he will walk through the stream, and sometimes go in the pond, but never just sits in there.

How do you keep your stream from being to deep as for him to drown? Or is it deep and he just doesn't fall in?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The stream isn't deep, but the little pond at the end of the stream was, so I had to put some river rocks in there because he went to the bottom.
See Pio eating a little piece of cuttle bone
005-16.jpg

Sachmn, I was looking at some pictures, and I do see Pio sitting in the pond and now I remember that he used to sit on a little piece of slate that covered the pump in the pond, in the shallow end, while the sun was still out and then when the sun went down, he would go in his hide. But he did sit for a long time in the pond. I remembered because I took a picture of him. He looked like he was saying..."all this is mine".

008-11.jpg

sachmn

5 Year Member
Your garden is gorgeous! I can only hope to have an area like that one day!
He doesn't do it often, just that one time that I've seen...which is what had me worried. He got out a little bit later.
I did, however, decide to run the humidifier all night. I turned off one of the Ceramic Heat Emitters and covered the open portion of his enclosure with a thick plastic bag, leaving a corner of it open to let some of the heat escape...this brought the night time temp. up and kept some moisture in.
He has been a lot more active lately, even wandering a bit at night...which I suppose could make sense since, even though they aren't nocturnal, the young'uns sleep all the time and maybe it's just a sign of him getting more comfortable with his home.
He's got a healthy appetite...but doesn't like Mango or mushrooms but goes crazy over the spring mix.
I put a natural rock in there as his food plate and he likes to climb on top of it and sit there to eat...quite adorable actually.
I think I got the wrong type of moss though, it hardly ever stays moist so I'm constantly spraying it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.