types of heat and UVB??

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebutterfly

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, newbie here and wondering a couple of things. So from everything that I have read a tortoise needs... UVB lighting, and a heat lamp for basking, so when it comes to night time what do you use for heat?? I have heard of heat mats, what else do you use for your tortoise table? :tort:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Night time temperatures can depend on which tortoise you have.

For example, I have a leopard hatchling that I raise with humidity. I never let my night time temperature drop below 80F and achieve this by using a CHE (ceramic heat emitter).

If you have an adult Russian tortoise, they benefit from cooler temps at night and most of time do not need any supplemented heat.

What tortoise are you looking at getting? Once you know what you want you can fine tune the details to that specific type and age of tortoise.

freebutterfly

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
Night time temperatures can depend on which tortoise you have.

For example, I have a leopard hatchling that I raise with humidity. I never let my night time temperature drop below 80F and achieve this by using a CHE (ceramic heat emitter).

If you have an adult Russian tortoise, they benefit from cooler temps at night and most of time do not need any supplemented heat.

What tortoise are you looking at getting? Once you know what you want you can fine tune the details to that specific type and age of tortoise.

We are going to get a Hermanns tortoise...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Very nice.

I don't keep Hermanns but I'm sure some of the members here that do can chime in about night time temperatures.

Also, in case you haven't see it yet, there is a spot for threads specifically about Hermanns Tortoises. Have fun reading through those and learning more about your future shelled buddy :)

freebutterfly

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
Very nice.

I don't keep Hermanns but I'm sure some of the members here that do can chime in about night time temperatures.

Also, in case you haven't see it yet, there is a spot for threads specifically about Hermanns Tortoises. Have fun reading through those and learning more about your future shelled buddy :)

Thanks Team Gomberg! What do you use for heat at night? A heat lamp, heat mat etc....

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I use the CHE.
I prefer to give heat from the top. This rules out heat mats or ropes in my book. But this is personal preference and others use this with success.

I also like the CHE because it gives night time heat WITHOUT light. It stays dark, like it should, at night. Red bulbs etc give night heat but also light so they are also a no go for me.

freebutterfly

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
I use the CHE.
I prefer to give heat from the top. This rules out heat mats or ropes in my book. But this is personal preference and others use this with success.

I also like the CHE because it gives night time heat WITHOUT light. It stays dark, like it should, at night. Red bulbs etc give night heat but also light so they are also a no go for me.

Do you have your CHE and other heat sources on a thermostat as well? Or does the temperature stay good without a thermostat?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have all my lights on timers.

The basking bulb and 25 watt used for extra lighting go on at 8 am and of at 8 pm.
The CHE goes on at 8 pm and off at 8 am.

My temperatures stay very stable with just the timer. However, I have found that in summer i need to use a 65 or 75 watt bulb for the basking temperatures to be in the correct range and in the winter i need a100 watt to achieve the same needed temperature. This is because the ambient room temperature changes seasonally.

Someday i would like to have the CHE on thermostat for 80 and then only have the day lights on timers.

Status
Not open for further replies.