type of substrate used for desert tortoise to brumate in refridgerator

Anet

Location (City and/or State)
AJO, AZ
I have searched this forum for substrate and it is recommended to use fine grade orchid bark or coconut coir. Is there a brand that you recommend? Do these substrates have added ingredients that are harmful? The coconut coir comes in a brick so I assume you add water to soften it. How much water? Does anyone have any other advice on brumating a desert tortoise in a refrigerator? I have been given a 3 yr. old desert tortoise and this will be my first winter with him. Want to do it right. Thanks so much

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I have searched this forum for substrate and it is recommended to use fine grade orchid bark or coconut coir. Is there a brand that you recommend? Do these substrates have added ingredients that are harmful? The coconut coir comes in a brick so I assume you add water to soften it. How much water? Does anyone have any other advice on brumating a desert tortoise in a refrigerator? I have been given a 3 yr. old desert tortoise and this will be my first winter with him. Want to do it right. Thanks so much

I brumate my DT in a fridge. I've done it the last 2 winters with no problems.

This is a thread from a couple years ago, all about brumation, including in a fridge.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/looking-for-an-rt-hibernation-mentor.128790/

For substrate, I put several layers of newspaper in the bottom of his plastic bin. Then Chug goes in. Then I tear newspaper up into strips and lightly pack it around and over him. Finally a piece of cardboard covers the bin to make it cozy and dark.

Last edited: