Two new sulcata babies here. Need recommendations

crashandflash

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So where is the best place to buy the tort supplies? Such as substrate, humid boxes etc? Amazon, pet sites or a specialty site? I have two new babies that weren't taken care of very well so they are really small despite being 6 months old. I was told to put them in this box I was given and hand UVB and heat lights and throw some lettuce at them once a day. ANd to soak them for 15 minutes three times a week. after research, I am finding that is subpar care. I am giving them oat hay and they like it as well as romaine leaf lettuce. but the substrate is not deep and no idea about the humidity levels. I live in Florida so it is always humid here except of course right now as we have a cold snap... One is more active than the other. One likes to stick his head in a corner and push and the other doesn't come out of the covered area very often...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Read these very thoroughly, and come back with questions.
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Your tortoises are solitary animals, and they need to be separated.
I buy my supplies from hardware stores and pet stores.

crashandflash

Florida
Ive read the threads recommended but as I am not familiar with the lingo I was a bit lost. No idea what a humid box was until ten minutes ago...all these substrate names are lost on me and I was wondering if anyone had a good site to order from. I am learning a ton and love to see all the tort lovers here. I also have a yelly belly slider that I need help with. I am a rescue that ended up with these guys and have no idea where to start. lol

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Remember, google is your friend! I would order from anywhere, as long as it has good reviews. If the product seems questionable, please run it by us first :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Ive read the threads recommended but as I am not familiar with the lingo I was a bit lost. No idea what a humid box was until ten minutes ago...all these substrate names are lost on me and I was wondering if anyone had a good site to order from. I am learning a ton and love to see all the tort lovers here. I also have a yelly belly slider that I need help with. I am a rescue that ended up with these guys and have no idea where to start. lol
Tom recommends fine grade orchid bark bought from a nursery. Just make sure it doesn't have any chemical additives.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and welcome to the Forum.

You want to stay away from pet specialty stores... they have the goods, but at a much increased over inflated price.

First off, you don’t want your two Sully’s housed together. One is more active = aggressive/bully than the other.. two Sully’s, two enclosures.

Second, these are African tortoises = high humidity, high temps, overnight temps high... day, higher. Plus humidity.

Substrate, moist and warm. Orchid bark, coco coir, peatmoss, cypress mulch. Most are available at garden centers, Lowe’s, Home Depot. Etc. coco coir is easily available via internet. Many inches in your enclosure.

Enclosures. Large, with a cover, humid hide (think inverted dark dish pan with a hole cut in one side so torty can crawl in, be warm and safe)

Water, yes they drink, sink a terra-cotta dish into the substrate. Keep filled.

Soaking, yes..soak in warm warm water daily.

Food, yes, lots of grass, weeds, weeds and grass, hibiscus, grape leaves, dandelions, etc.

Sunlight, yes. Luckily you are in Florida, both high humidity, coupled with sunshine.

Hope this helps!