Two in one enclosure

Fe-2470

I am thinking of getting another tortoise will I have to make my current tortoises run bigger??pls reply soon.

Fe-2470

Surly they do like company?? I already have a hermanns and so would like to get the same.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501185412.566943.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501185412.566943.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 50

Fe-2470

I read that beginner mistakes thread which has really made me wonder if I've been doing the right thing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Surly they do like company?? I already have a hermanns and so would like to get the same.

No. They don't like company. In fact, they don't see another tortoise as company. They see other tortoises as competition for food and resources, territorial intruders, sexual rivals or rapists. They are much happier all alone.

Groups of juveniles are usually okay, but things get complicated once they reach adulthood. The best chance of success is one male and several females. In some instances in large enclosures with several females, two adult males can reach a truce, but that is unusual, and I wouldn't count on it.

Freckles24

TN
No. They don't like company. In fact, they don't see another tortoise as company. They see other tortoises as competition for food and resources, territorial intruders, sexual rivals or rapists. They are much happier all alone.

Groups of juveniles are usually okay, but things get complicated once they reach adulthood. The best chance of success is one male and several females. In some instances in large enclosures with several females, two adult males can reach a truce, but that is unusual, and I wouldn't count on it.

I don't have tortoises or anything but I'm curious you said one male and a few females. Would the few females not compete? Or are females more laid back? (Just curious)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have tortoises or anything but I'm curious you said one male and a few females. Would the few females not compete? Or are females more laid back? (Just curious)

Generally, females are less combative in most species (Russians being a notable exception…), and will get along okay in groups. This is especially true if there is a dominant male prowling the territory.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The rule about multiple tortoises is true if you have the space to pull it off. Jamming 3 or 4 torts into a small area will not help you.
Also, Russian tortoises are VERY, VERY scrappy.
They are some of the most aggressive and likely to fight tortoises that you can find.
You will have issues.
Please believe it.
If you must keep multiples, keep just one male with several females and make a pen of a couple hundred square feet with lots of areas to hide.
Are you able to make room outdoors?

Robert Hutchens

California
How much room can u make? It could work if u have like an entire back yard to spare. I've seen many private collectors keep multiple Hermans and Russians. Especially if there both Female.

Stamford, CT, USA
I have heard there are exceptions by species, aren't red foots usually good in small groups? I know that in the wild red foots do tend to be with other red foots.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot generally DO do well in groups.
Especially with mostly females.
However, even with Redfoot every now and then you'll get one that just will not get along and it's usually one that has been kept for years in a small area, alone. Never having any competition or having to share anything.
Not every Redfoot will get along in a group.
Most will as long as there is a lot of room and multiple hides, etc.
So be warned even though you may never encounter this behavior.
There are always exceptions.
I kept two adult females together in a 25x20 foot enclosure for years with not one problem.
This goes against the "don't keep tortoises in pairs" advise. That advise is well founded because it's almost always true.
They had ample room and we're exceptions.
There are always exceptions.....How a certain species normally acts and behaves, and some that don't do as expected.
Be prepared to seperate and sell, trade and ad and remove animals to get things harmonious.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have heard there are exceptions by species, aren't red foots usually good in small groups? I know that in the wild red foots do tend to be with other red foots.

Small groups can usually work with most species, but we are talking about a pair in this thread. Pairs of any species don't work. Groups? Yes. Pairs? No.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much room can u make? It could work if u have like an entire back yard to spare. I've seen many private collectors keep multiple Hermans and Russians. Especially if there both Female.

See the above reply to Plato...