turtles on the golf course

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Whoever wrote that should have educated themselves a bit. That is more like bullying then sex, they aren't human and they don't breed that way and they are not painted turtles, they are box turtles.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
They're Eastern Box turtles and they absolutely do breed that way. That is not "bullying" (which turtles and tortoises don't do anyway), it is often part of their breeding process. It is not unusual for a male American Box turtle (all subspecies) to get caught in the female when she tightens her muscles in an attempt to close her hinged lower plastron.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I know. I have seen this happen to mine!.....Yikes!!
Those poor male boxies. What they put up with for some lovin'. :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
GBtortoises said:
They're Eastern Box turtles and they absolutely do breed that way. That is not "bullying" (which turtles and tortoises don't do anyway), it is often part of their breeding process. It is not unusual for a male American Box turtle (all subspecies) to get caught in the female when she tightens her muscles in an attempt to close her hinged lower plastron.

Such a buzzkill.

I would also point out that the article didn't actually say that they were painted turtles and just segued from talking about the pictures to talking about an article that was published last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.