Turtles in Oregon NEED NEW HOMES ASAP

Harpy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, Oregon
I took in a pair of Central American wood turtles last week that need more than I can offer. There is extreme shell rot or bacteria infection where both shells are cracked and scutes are separated. I cannot get them to eat. I DO NOT have the income to take to vet, nor knowledge to treat them myself. It may be too late to save them, but maybe someone out there can work miracles.

I am in Eugene Oregon. I do not trust shipping of turtles...so if anyone is local...I know of a few on this forum. They can in a 20gal long...that can go with. I just want them to get the proper care they deserve.

PLEASE HELP.

Billie

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How are you treating/housing them until you get them to a new place???? If you are dealing with shell rot then you really need to do some first aid in the interim....I mean, of course you don't have to do anything but if you took them in to help them out then will you be doing that until you can rehome them?

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-nawood.htm
Just for your reference....

Harpy

5 Year Member
Eugene, Oregon
YES, of course i will take care of them. The only stuff I have to treat shell rot is the old medication I got from my own turtle issues. But, I do not know if it is shell rot or what. the shell looks like a dehydrated mud pack. Body weight is not bad. Skin looks ok, just muddy.. They were in enclosure with thick muck for water.

They are in a 20 long..there is a large catpan for water and the rest is bed-a beast mixed with cyprus (the same mix I use for my other "kids". have UV and heat at proper temps. They started eating today..dandelion greens. Will offer worms later today.

I actually have 2 of these guys myself, which is why I took them in - thought I could help. But they look so pitiful I fear I may not be good enough.