Turtle workout

virginias891

When my slider Lil Fatty was a baby,we felt like she was bored.So we put mirrors on the outside of the tank(a long one in back ,big one on the side and a tiny one around the corner next to it)You should of seen her, she would stand up and look at herself and put her hands above her head and do the turtle ritual dance.She gets a good workout and I believe she knows it's her she sees in the mirror.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Reptiles don't have self recognition. Hence, why it was doing the mating dance. To try and mate with the "other turtle"

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As much as we love our scaled family members, they don't recognize themselves.

virginias891

I hate to tell you this but I know reptiles behaviours pretty well as I have had quite a few in my lifetime.My res,"Lil Fatty is not your normal res .I swear that she knows.

virginias891

That's funny.She even has a little bed to sleep in at night.Plus she likes to walk around on the carpet and she doesn't pee or poop in the box or on the carpet.I wonder what science would think of thatHa ha

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
That's funny.She even has a little bed to sleep in at night.Plus she likes to walk around on the carpet and she doesn't pee or poop in the box or on the carpet.I wonder what science would think of thatHa ha

Science would probably say that turtles usually pee and poop in water. What you describe as "like" is probably just the turtle exploring and/or trying to find water and the turtle will sleep when it is dark and secure whether it be in a bed under a towel or in water in plants. Most people on this forum would advice against letting your turtle roam the carpet and sleeping in a bed. Turtles are AQUATIC reptiles meaning they should eat, sleep and live in water other than basking. If they are on the carpet they can ingest things that can harm them, get lost, or get stepped on. The turtle is doing nothing special. People tend to project what they see onto their pets. Kind of like how people think that when apes smile/show their teeth, that they are happy when in reality it is a sign of stress. I have nothing wrong with thinking our pets have unique traits or the fact that science sometimes tries to explain things that it simply cannot, but please don't knock science altogether.

virginias891

First of all, She is watch every minute she is walking on her little path.I don't put her down and say "see ya". Of course I don't recommend that anyone do what I do.I'm just sharing how special she is compared to most.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your turtle is obviously very special to you. We are not going to change your mind and you are not going to change ours. So let's don't argue. The more special your turtle is to you, the better care you are going to give her. No one can fault that!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif