Turtle Torture Event (warning: disturbing)(update 8/21 w/good news)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Turtle Torture Event (warning: disturbing)

Hi samclau07 (I'm sorry, but I've failed to learn your name :( ):

Please thank your husband profusely for all of us here on the forum!! The letter sounds great and I hope it does some good.

I couldn't bring myself to look at the links in this thread...it was bad enough that I read the descriptions. Its a terrible thing they're doing.

Thank you...thank you...thank you!!!!!

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California

samclau07, that is amazing! Tell your husband thank you so much! That's a wonderful letter :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA

This is very true and is going to be happening tomorrow. PETA has been asking people for their help in calling and emailing the list that Katie has put up. PETA has not been able to get it stopped, but with everyone coming together it sends a stronger message. Please be disgusted, but also call and email the numbers.

Phone calls made and emails sent, we can only cross our fingers that it will be stopped. :(

Well I just checked my emails and some came back as undelivered due to email box too full. This is how people get the word out and let others know that animal cruelty is unexceptable. :) :tort: I can only hope that it is stopped. :(

Kalina

5 Year Member

I contacted the animal control local to them, the HSUS, and a bunch of other orgs begging them to stop this!! I tried several times to get thru to the campground but they had taken their phones off the hook as they were being bombarded with complaints... I tried contacting the local police dept but they weren't interested (or at least that's how it appeared).... I contacted Mitch Daniels (the Indiana Governor) several times before the "Snapperfest" started but he ignored the plea's to stop this. Also, I've had no return call or email from Indiana DNR regarding my complaints.
As far as I'm aware, the campground were not allowing anyone they didn't know onto the property, cars and bags were being searched upon entry. I believe at least one animal activist got in but still waiting on video.

Unfortunately, even tho thousands of people stood up and complained to the authorities about this, the "Snapperfest" went ahead as scheduled, the only thing we can do from here is to email, call and let the authorities know this is unacceptable and you want it stopped. Snapperfest will continue next year, lets start now to stop it.

Kalina

5 Year Member
Just posted: Great News!! Legal Help for "Snapperfest"!

#

YESSSSSS!!!!!!! Denis-share all .........
just received moments ago via email from Indiana University School of Law...my Alma Mater in Bloomington, Indiana:

Hi Susan, Thank you for contacting the law school about this horrible competition. Your voicemail was passed along to me by Dr. Matthews. I am the President of the Student Animal Legal Defense Fund at the law school (and a fellow North Carolinian). We just started the Student Animal Legal Defense Fund chapter last year and have made many strides in our first year. Unfortunately, one of our goals, the hiring of an Animal Law faculty member, has yet to be accomplished. Consequently, I don’t have an Animal Law faculty member to turn to for immediate legal action.Surprisingly, your voicemail about Snapperfest was the first time I heard about this competition and, needless to say, I am appalled. The ending of this competition is now a priority for our organization. I have already contacted the Animal Legal Defense Fund to see what assistance they might provide in terms of advice, and, hopefully, litigation. The next time I meet with the rest of our organization’s executive board, we will also discuss an approach to address this issue.Please don’t hesitate to contact me about this in the future and I hope that we can work toward ending this competition as soon as possible. Thank you again for your phone call.
# Sincerely,Chris PiercePresident, Student Animal Legal Defense FundIU-Maurer School of Law
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr/259362677416593

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
RE: Just posted: Great News!! Legal Help for "Snapperfest"!

That is GREAT news!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: Just posted: Great News!! Legal Help for "Snapperfest"!

I am not an expert yet in the law, but I would imagine all you need to do is get an injunction enforcing the animal abuse laws already there.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
This is insane.

I read this: "Because these are wild turtles they aren't protected. They are considered 'hunted' animals and there aren't any laws in that county against abusing animals you've caught through hunting."

And this: "Today they were searching cars to make sure no press or media got in. One AR group tried to get in to film it and they weren't allowed on the property and told not to come back. The campground also blocked it so no one could see is what was going on inside. Sounds like they know what they are doing is wrong, but don't care."

:( It makes me sad that people hurt animals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You mean to tell me that it would be ok by them to do the same thing to Bambi?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
It starts with one person and we've actually come a long way. I would like to encourage people to keep emailing and also email their governor about how disgusting you think this is. If people quite down then it will just happen again next year. Since we know that this is a private campground we need to call out their governor on whether their state holds true to their animal rights laws.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
WHAT THE &$#@!!!! That is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in my life! Humans are such idiots!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Went and posted a few questions to the goveror of Indiana about why he didn't advertise this event on his website? Here's his website for anyone who would like to post also. Just click on Ohio and then go to ask Mitch a question and post.

http://www.in.gov/gov/Ohio.htm

Kalina

5 Year Member
Great Idea Candy!!!!! He still hasn't addressed this yet (to my knowledge)... His silence says a lot about his character!

Status
Not open for further replies.