Turtle slaughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

latshki

5 Year Member
The thing that makes me most angry is how almost all of these animals are wild caught turtles and tortoises are becoming endangered like mad these days especially in these countries
I think a better alternative is to farm the animals and treat them to respect and to me thats the worst the disregard for respect of these animals, I was brought up to respect the animals we eat and to treat them fairly that means not playing catch or throwing them into crates for fun
when I go fishing i do catch and release if I can and if the animals is too badly wounded which is not often i will quickly break its neck and take it home or leave it in the road, some may not agree with leaving them in the road or path but they WILL get eaten and used and as long as the animal returns to nature in some way that is respect to that animal in my mind

btw PETA is a joke there are very few things that they have contributed to animal welfare most of their money goes to advertising and they prefer to euthinise rather than adopt out

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have 2 rules in eating animals, you don't eat endangered animals and you don't eat somene's pet. I of course don't like to think about all those turtles being eaten, but thank god PETA has no power over there, cause that would just give them more power over here. I also think they should do it more humanely, but I think they have some cultural thing about eating an animal alive or right after you kill it, but I am not sure.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
latshki,
Just my 2 cents, I so agree about peta being a useless bunch of idiots!. Causing more bad than good.
Not your words, mine.
Na

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
reptylefreek said:
Yvonne had a good point though... In their culture im sure its not a big deal to eat a wild animal that happens to be a tortoise. PETA are the same people that say you shouldn't eat beef. I understand these images are shocking to us, but its probably alot different when you grew up eating tortoise. I dont know a whole lot about this subject, but if your mad purely because these people are slaughtering an animal to eat(and responsibly using the rest of the animal), i think you should broaden your horizen and think about their culture. We just think its wrong because we grew up thinking tortoises are pets.

Let me reiterate though... i do think there are more humane ways to kill so you can eat.

I was going to type up a big response to this, but nothing I say will make more sense than what Jessica said here. I agree whole-heartedly.

The only thing I would add is my inability to understand how someone who keeps exotic chelonians in a captive environment could possibly think a radical animal rights organization is good thing. That's like a vegan supporting a large scale beef slaughterhouse.

Also remember that the way some of you feel about these native tribes eating a turtle is the same way a billion Hindus feel about us eating cows... and steers, etc...

All animals should be treated humanely, but meat is still meat.

samstar

5 Year Member
reptylefreek said:
Yvonne had a good point though... In their culture im sure its not a big deal to eat a wild animal that happens to be a tortoise. PETA are the same people that say you shouldn't eat beef. I understand these images are shocking to us, but its probably alot different when you grew up eating tortoise. I dont know a whole lot about this subject, but if your mad purely because these people are slaughtering an animal to eat(and responsibly using the rest of the animal), i think you should broaden your horizen and think about their culture. We just think its wrong because we grew up thinking tortoises are pets.

Let me reiterate though... i do think there are more humane ways to kill so you can eat.

The issue here is not about broadening my horizen but more in the way they slaughter these helpless animals. Yes I have seen miuch worse and it is difficult to accept whats going on but there are just more humane ways of going about these things although to me personally it's wrong. Just my opinion.

ROFLCHOPTER94

5 Year Member
I am extremely against it because a lot of the turtles and tortoises slautered are rare or endangered but we can't really say much because of the pet trade horrors with russians and pancakes.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Disturbing YES! but killing turtles/tortoise for means of survival...can you really condem that? Our armored friends have been food; way before they were in our enclosures. Have you ever seen the slaughter of Cows,Pigs,Chickens? thats barbaric. I posted a comment about this very subject, but for some reason its being ignored. They are selling turtle meat in ChinaTown (Los Angeles CA).

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Tom said:
reptylefreek said:

I was going to type up a big response to this, but nothing I say will make more sense than what Jessica said here. I agree whole-heartedly.

The only thing I would add is my inability to understand how someone who keeps exotic chelonians in a captive environment could possibly think a radical animal rights organization is good thing. That's like a vegan supporting a large scale beef slaughterhouse.

Also remember that the way some of you feel about these native tribes eating a turtle is the same way a billion Hindus feel about us eating cows... and steers, etc...

All animals should be treated humanely, but meat is still meat.

Just to clarify if case you (Tom)think I'm supporting PETA, I HATE the way these groups go about their ways. The only PETA im for is People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. :p And I do agree that each country should protect endangered animals. Thats one major thing we could give back to this world as people, save species that we had a hand in destroying.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You gotta be careful because those groups think that the keeping of these animals as pets is cruel.

Gutting a fish is no different and is done on a daily basis in massive numbers. Do not tell me it's different. Those turtles being butchured in the market are being done so for food. I'll always ask... how do you 'humanely' kill an organism.

samstar said:
I just typed in 'turtle slaughter' or 'turtle killing' in youtube and what popped up was very disturbing. I swear it did break my heart of how these barbarians could cut open a turtle while it's alive. Why is not PETA or conservation groups doing anything about this? I thought I'd post the links here but maybe it would be to disturbing so decided not to. I cant seem to get the videos I just watched out of my head. If there are some groups stopping these barbaric acts, please do tell me because it would make me feel better.

samstar

5 Year Member
From what I have read, PETA has shut down quote a few slaughter houses in China, how true is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.