Turtle has a ***** nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

breezycat21

5 Year Member
MY 7 yr old red ear slider has a ***** nose, and some ***** spots on his skin, also some red skin around back of by shell. He lives in our out door pond and has been there for 5 years with no problem. We check the water every week, clean filters, and take him out to check him. He has had to red skin line for about 3 weeks. But just thought that is was due to not enough lite. Picked him up yester day to find him trying to breath threw his little nose and only bubbles would come out. I took a q-tip and gently wiped it off and his nose is red and raw, and ther is no skin there. I have no vet to take him to that has any idea about turtles. We have put him into a emergency pond set up with less water, and made him sun bath yesterday off and on. But have no idea what else to do.

M

Maggie Cummings

welcome to the form. You mean there is pus coming from your slider's nose?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
maggie3fan said:
welcome to the form. You mean there is pus coming from your slider's nose?

LMAO!

breezycat21

5 Year Member
Yes and no, there is pus but it isnt like ozzing from it, it looks kind of like a infection, has some spots on different parts of his skin also.

breezycat21 said:
Yes and no, there is pus but it isnt like ozzing from it, it looks kind of like a infection, has some spots on different parts of his skin also.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Just for future reference, the word you want to use is "purulent". :) I had to laugh at this one!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
matt41gb said:
Just for future reference, the word you want to use is "purulent". :)

What's wrong with the word he used...still LMAO!:D

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
My wife was in the other room when I read the title. She heard me laugh so hard she asked what was wrong. Ha!!!!!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am still laughing. I really though ***** nose was a turtle term I had not heard. I kept thinking what the heck could that mean.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That though is how you spell the adjective :D Just not pronounced like everyone is pronouncing it. ;) Pus e :)

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, as a moderator I was wondering how to change the wording, but figured most wouldn't remember that word anymore anyhow. I would trust the resident jokesters to also have dirty minds...
It sounds like a skin infection to me and I would get the guy to a Vet before it worsens...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
maggie3fan said:
Well, as a moderator I was wondering how to change the wording, but figured most wouldn't remember that word anymore anyhow. I would trust the resident jokesters to also have dirty minds...
It sounds like a skin infection to me and I would get the guy to a Vet before it worsens...

Sorry, Maggie, for having a dirty mind...but I'm still LMMFAO!:D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Boy, that one was so hot not even dmmj would touch it!

Best of luck finding the cause for the pus and resolving it quickly.

breezycat21

5 Year Member
It is amazing how many of you have dirty minds. I guess my vocabulary isn't the best but darn, isn't this form suppose to be clean. My poor turtle. ANyway, not angry about it but good gravy people.

M

Maggie Cummings

Ok folks, let's get back on the subject.

I apologize to you for the group. I realize we have sort of hijacked your thread, but in defense of the group that's what makes this group friendly and fun. There is no doubt in my mind that if any of us could help you, we would. Even with all the joking if anyone had answers for you they would be giving those answers to you. We were simply teasing each other because we don't have an answer for you.

This ladies RES has what sounds like a skin infection to me. I have suggested she take the animal to the vet.

breezycat21...What kind of filtration system do you currently use? I'm wondering if this skin problem is caused by dirty water? Sliders are usually pretty good when it comes to things like this and they don't usually get a skin infection from dirty water, but they do usually spend their time in moving water. So I suggest you take your turtle to a qualified exotics Vet and see what they have to say. I really don't think we are going to get any help from these guys...Can you post pictures of the problem spots?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
My question is...are you using REPTISAFE or DECHLOR or something like that. Untreated water is going to irritate the nasal passages and eventually the lungs...I won't go any further than that, because that would be catastrophic.Is the pus coming from an external or internal source...and make sure the filtration system is disinfected frequently...bacteria can build-up in there as well. Good luck!

breezycat21

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help, we dont have a vet here were I live that has any experience for reptiles, and well, the state I live in doesnt allow RES so I cant do to much there, they will take any RES they fined and uthinize them imediatly under all circumstances. HE lives in a good filtered pond that always has clean water. I have moved him into a tank in the house and making him stay out of water for a few hours off and on, using eye meds on skin and although he is scratching his face and making it bleed the nose has stoped ozzing and is looking a little better. Think he just was being to lazy to swim to top and sun bath. So maybe in a few days of doing this he will be better and I will just move him to a new pond that i have set up. Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

It is also illegal to keep a RES in my state. So I am wondering if maybe we live in the same state? One where it rains so much that people don't tan they rust???
You might tell me where you live and I can see if we have a Vet there on my personal Vet list...

Status
Not open for further replies.