Turnip the Greek Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ttrahan

5 Year Member
We got a Greek Tortoise on Monday and he is just wonderful. But I am a little worried. He is not eating. I went back to the pet store today and they were not worried. She said he is getting use to his new home and could be stressed. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Thank you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yes, normal.

Are you soaking him every day....offering food every day.....are his enclosure temps all good....what type of substrate are you using....just be sure to set up his enclosure to meet his basic health needs and then a few things for good measure....then, well, let him be to adjust....:D

Remember, tortoise live a slow and steady style of life, so what we think is taking a long darn time is simply a drop in the bucket to them....:p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ttrahan:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

"Turnip!" What a great name for a tortoise. I love it.

Yes, this is normal behavior. For once, the pet shop is correct. :p

Give Turnip a few days. Normally, what I do is to get the tortoise out every morning and put him into a tub of warm water (that he can't climb out of). Then I prepare and place the food at the feeding station. After about 15 minutes soaking, take him and place him in front of the food, stepping quickly out of sight. Tortoises can go a pretty long time without food, so there's nothing to worry about just yet.

What would you like us to call you?

..and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Ttrahan

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone.

You can call me Tammy, I love his name also my 5 year old son named him I thought it was perfect. We are in Texas.

Well I did let him soak in the tub this morning. He is living in a 40 gallon with bark. We have two lights and two thermometers. Basking side is staying 88 -90 and cool area is staying about 75. And I have been offering food everyday and veggies. And some fruit.

Please let me know if something would be changed.
Thanks
Tammy

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Are you measuring your temperatures with dial thermometers or digital ones? The analog (dial) ones can often be very inaccurate, and if it's too cool in the enclosure your tortoise will not want to eat.

Another important thing to remember is that you really want to know what the temperature is right at the substrate level, instead of the ambient air temperature, because those can vary widely. Think, 120*F basking spot, but the ambient is only 80*F! Getting a digital thermometer with a probe will help you to accomplish that. Are you measuring humidity? Humidity levels are very important, especially to young tortoises.

Ttrahan

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Well update on Turnip. We decided to take him back. He still was not eating, they said they would keep him in the back and watch him and let the vet look at him. Now we are the proud owners of Turnip #2. He is a Russian Tortoise. When we picked him out he was eating. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.