TurK's Indoor home

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I'm not sure if you have enough soil that they would grow well. Also, besides a fully-planted enclosure for a Redfoot for example, I haven't seen too may successful examples of plants right in the substrate. I'll be interested to read any other opinions as I don't have direct experience with this. My vote is Russian as I think two large species is a lot to handle!

TrevO

5 Year Member
Ya i was thinking the same thing as directly in the substrate might not work.I will probably use potted ones and flush them up to the substrate. as for a tortoise, i was also leaning towards a russian. they seem like a lot of fun. reading some posts have sent me that direction. And your right, two large species could potentially be alot. and i dont want them to not have the attention and care they need.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use planted vivariums for my boxies and also my Cherry H. I leave the plants in their little pots and just put them all the way down in the substrate. Then whatever I put on top....leaf litter...moss...I just put it on top of anything that's showing of the little pot. This way if anything gets trashed I just take out the little pot and can replace it.

Lori J

5 Year Member
New York
looks like your lights need to be turned in the down position. other than that what a great idea...i love the shape.

M

Maggie Cummings

Your UVB lights need to point straight down, not at an angle. I don't see the need for all the different soils, gave you fun and cost you money when just cypress mulch would have done the job.

I have my UVB light hanging on chains from the ceiling. That way it's out of the way. I use a fluorescent tube over one tort table and a 100 watt Trex over another. Bob has a 200 watt Trex hanging from the ceiling and I keep moving it up and moving it up. He has grown so much this winter!

I hope one of us told you to make sure your substrate didn't have any pine or cedar in it as both are toxic to tortoises. That's not just an old wives tale that we all spread around without ever really knowing. I blinded a young Sulcata and killed another using pine...Any way good job! Nice work...

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Walmart has thin and thick clear plastic available in the fabric section. They have it on rolls I guess you could use it to cover anything. You could get 10 foot of the thicker clear plastic one and it will cost under $10.00! And you can cut it anyway you want to fit!

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
tortoisenerd said:
Very cool! I'd put in some more hides and stuff to break up the space, such as fake plants or whatever. What kind of lighting? If you have MVB, you need the bulb face parallel to the substrate. With any type of heat/light, I like to use lamp stands so you can adjust the bulb height up and down to change the temperature as the room temperature changes. Anything that creates more hides is great for the hatchlings and all torts actually. Overall, awesome job! The size is great. Keep in mind that eventually you will need bigger, as even though it is huge now, the torts will grow so its actually like the enclosure is shrinking around them over time.
Terry, What/where found is a lamp stand? not a clamp it doesn't sound like. thanks, Patricia

TrevO

5 Year Member
When you guys say to make the lights face down is it for more UVB or for the heat? the spot lamp is around 95 and arouns the corner section is at 75 then the bigger lamp by the water is 85-90. they do move around from place to place so i figure the temps are good. they dont hide from the heat or sit under it all day long. and i have wanted to get a more direct facing stand for them but my money trees aren't blooming right now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.