Trying to learn about a tortoise

phil_uk

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone. I recently inherited a stuffed tortoise, and I'm trying to find out a bit about it. I think I've worked out that he was male, but that's it. It is from the Seychelles in the late 1950s, and I'm hoping someone has an idea of the species and maybe age? It would be great to know a bit. Many thanks.

IMG_3131.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3132.jpeg
    IMG_3132.jpeg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 1

phil_uk

UK
Thanks both! Yes my understanding is that it's real, and it seems like it to my unexpert eye. It's about 70cm long, 45cm wide, 35 cm high. I see from Wikipedia that they become much bigger than that!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks both! Yes my understanding is that it's real, and it seems like it to my unexpert eye. It's about 70cm long, 45cm wide, 35 cm high. I see from Wikipedia that they become much bigger than that!
Yes a real live one gets 500 pounds male and around 300 female. Much much larger.
I wasn't sure from the pics if it was a taxidermy or something else. The head looks too small and that's why I thought it was man made.
Cool either way.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I found a really similar looking tortoise on facebook: I am not sure whether this helps with aging yours.

Also, it helps to determine whether the eyes are plastic or not. In older specimens the eyes can be made of glass or other natural material like here: If the eyes are plastic, you can be certain that it is either a newer specimen or recently conserved.

Taxiderming tortoises is really hard and expensive. And as it is an Aldabra, it is probable that it is very old. Anyway, that is about the limits of my information on tortoise taxidermy :)

phil_uk

UK
I think one of the eyes is a seashell (the other one has come out and I will replace it). @The_Four_Toed_Edward , that one is amazingly similar. It really is quite magnificent.

IMG_3243.jpeg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Incredible to read. Amazing info on this forum.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I think one of the eyes is a seashell (the other one has come out and I will replace it). @The_Four_Toed_Edward , that one is amazingly similar. It really is quite magnificent.

View attachment 369614
Yeah, it really seems like yours is very old! If it was in my country, I would say pre world war one for sure, but can't say for sure about yours.